Fish Tank Question ....

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Open to anybody who's kept fish indoors and may have a thought as to what the heck is going on in one of my tropical tanks ….

Ok so one tank I have is a fish tank everything else I have is for tropical shrimp!
The tropical tank for fish is a moderately dense live planted tank, soft sand at the bottom due to the species kept
Its a sealed tank ie has a fitted lid with a small flap that you slide back to feed the fish from.
There is a separate boxed fish proof filter system.

In the tank usual residents are very calm and sociable none aggressive fish....

Three dwarf chain loach fully grown each about as big as a neon tetra proper dwarf ones.
There are 6 neon tetra classed as a beginner fish as very hardy robust fish.
There WERE 5 glowlight tetra which is also classed as a beginner fish very hardy robust fish. Now there are only three.

All three species are the same size class nobody larger nobody aggressive classification.

I check my fish every morning and every night … kind of OCD like behaviour its getting to be make sure everybody is ok nothing untoward no signs of sickness etc. During the daytime I often watch them.....

So glowlight number one vanishes during the night next morning only 4 there … I search the tank … no sign of it …. at all in any shape or form. Thought flipping heck must have come down sick and the snails have done the clean up thing and zero evidence but they ain't exactly something you could polish off in such a short space of time… but did think it was a tad odd …. usually you see something or have a hint of something like the snails gathering in a particular area.... a fish away from the others and not behaving as per normal....

Stripped the tank did a head count and defo gone :(

So since fishy number one vanished have been feverishly head counting every time I look at the tank. Watching the others like a hawk in case there is a bully in the tank and that was the route cause. Count fish every morning and every night ….

Last night 3 dwarf chains, 6 neon tetra, four glowlight tetra …. this morning 3 dwarf chain, 6 neon tatra and 3 glowlights :yikes::yikes::BangHead:

Take out filter check it nothing, go through all the plants nothing ,,, take plants out and double check head count … nope missing and still not a sign of anything such as a body or a part of a body. There's no way to jump out the tank. This is only happening at night time... its only the glowlights ….. and the dwarf chains are too flipping little to do anything as they are smaller than the glowlights plus are bottom dwelling secretive dudes if I ever see them its because I have gone looking for them although they do love it when I do the weekly water change and will have a good turf around in the sand looking for things behaviour is unlike the middle swimming glows and neons which are always in view busying around etc.

So unless the fish fairy is paying a visit each night and stealing a glowlight there's something totally not right going on. The other glows just like the missing ones all seem healthy, active staying together with the other tetra and not bullying nor being bullied, not a mark on them, no listlessness, nobody looks sick in any way shape or form …..

The snails in the tank are ramshorns 4 large ones that the dwarf chains don't bother with as guess they are way too big - the chains do eat the snail eggs and the newly hatched snails though that are really dinky. I just can't figure out the vanishing glowlights ….. any ideas peeps?

dianaT

Staff member
Oh dear, cannot help ypu as only kept the odd gold fish. @Yellowchickenparrot any advice? Cannot think who else has tanks. Well I know that what's his name did - with the caiques but he seems to have vanished.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
you mean Pally yeah said he had IT issues ages ago returned said he was now back and never posted again hey ho
dreading turning the lights off on the tank tonight .... if there was something like a dragon fly nymph in there like I found in the large shrimp tank that time I surely would have seen it … and dealt with it too!

Bigpapa

Hello pal,

All the fish that you have together are community fish defo will not eat each other

Neon and glow light tetra are very similar in size.
If you are hundred percent sure that there is no tiny hole or even an access for the fish to possibly jump out as tetras are known to jump then I am convinced it is your large snails that are eating the fish
Those snails eat debri, left over food, algae and dead fish!

Snails are nocturnal so when fish are sleeping they are still while the snails are moving about looking for food.

It's probably not intensional but because the fish are sleeping and are still the snails happen to stick to them and by then it's too late for the fish.

Suggestions is always have smaller snails than your fish in size.

Hope this helps pal

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Snails are smaller than the fish but too large for the dwarf chains plus only four snails in the tank as the clean up crew for any left over food from the fish....
But since that's the only plausible answer when everything else is crossed off the lists …. a list of absolutely nowt I hasten to add must be the snails …. tomorrow they are relocating ….. whether they like it or not!
Defo no way to jump out top of tank is sealed with tiny slide feeder hole ... due to nosy flipping parrots wanting to throw things in the tanks

Bigpapa

Snails are smaller than the fish but too large for the dwarf chains plus only four snails in the tank as the clean up crew for any left over food from the fish....
But since that's the only plausible answer when everything else is crossed off the lists …. a list of absolutely nowt I hasten to add must be the snails …. tomorrow they are relocating ….. whether they like it or not!
Defo no way to jump out top of tank is sealed with tiny slide feeder hole ... due to nosy flipping parrots wanting to throw things in the tanks
Just to clarify nothing in the filter ??
If there is no corps or anything to be seen then it has to be the snails
As they would a sort everything leaving nothing behind

As for the dwarfs they look small in size ?
But do they have a big mouth ???
If not then that's defo out the question aswell

Cus sometime these small fish have huge mouths as they would try to swallow anything that would fit in there mouths

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Dwarfs are as big as the neon tetra (which are small) mouth wise not capable of much really lol a tiny snail just a bit bigger than two pin heads stuck together is as much as they can handle even then it takes them forever to do battle and eat a snail. Dwarfs have never been an issue ever with the fish in there.
Nothing in filter.
No bodies or parts of bodies only four snails in the tank would take them longer than the time they had I would have thought to consume a glowlight but they are the only candidates that could I suppose just odd as usually you see a fish acting ill or strangely or whatever before they die and could be consumed. These were fine one minute and then "poof" vanished!
Have seen the snails do a clean up job before when I lost a tetra quite some time ago and it took then forever to get part way through and I got to remove the body before they got even a quarter of the way through making a vanishing act and that had taken them at least 2 or 3 hours

Top Bottom