File types for pictures.

Scott199

I don't know if this is an option, just wondering if you have a choice of file types that can be used.

i understand Jpeg is the norm for pictures but most/all iPhones and some others have moved to HEIC, it gives the same quality but it a much smaller format.

I don't know if maybe you have a checkbox to allow HEIC types to be used for pictures ?

High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIC)

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Errrrr zero idea! Will have a look at the software and see what's listed....
have you tried to just upload it?

Scott199

Oh seems something converts it to JPEG

ignore me, I tried a while ago and it said file type not supported, no worries prob me.

but if it does work a full size pic on my phone is around 500kb

JackAndRob

Staff member
HEIC what? Never heard of it :D

BMP, JPG/JPEG & PNG are going to be the most popular formats for a while. It is usually possible to state what format an image is recorded in. JPG/JPEG is going to be the most widely used for a long time to come. JPG/JPEG saves a tonne of space and doesn't really take much away from the impact of the original image if it was recorded in a format that does not apply as much compression.

HEIF/C is yet to become widely supported. When it does, an update to the the forum software may be able to deal with it. Don't hold your breath though as it could take a while.

Scott199

HEIC what? Never heard of it :D

BMP, JPG/JPEG & PNG are going to be the most popular formats for a while. It is usually possible to state what format an image is recorded in. JPG/JPEG is going to be the most widely used for a long time to come. JPG/JPEG saves a tonne of space and doesn't really take much away from the impact of the original image if it was recorded in a format that does not apply as much compression.

HEIF/C is yet to become widely supported. When it does, an update to the the forum software may be able to deal with it. Don't hold your breath though as it could take a while.
No worries thought I’d ask as HEIC is half the size of JPEG and uses better compression but it’s still very new so I guess your right regards an uptake to main stream.

Top Bottom