Few Queries

Mrboofs

I am picking up my baby bird tomorrow and have just been having a conversation with my wife about do's and dont's regarding feeding and siting of the cage. It then occurred to me about household air fresheners and the like. My wife likes to have oil burners and jos sticks in the room the cage will be in. Are there a big no no now? Also, we have an open fire (with spit guard), will this affect the bird?

Great question to ask!

Yikes, no air fresheners! Birds have incredibly sensitive respiratory systems. Oil burners, candles, joss sticks cigarette smoke are a no-no too. I don't know about the open fire - I wouldn't with my birds - I got rid of one that was already here when I moved in. Birds take in a lot more air than we do - they have air sacs as well as lungs so suffer effects long before us... which is why they used to use canaries down mines.

Thank you for your reply. I am throwing out all the Teflon pans and baking trays etc tomorrow and replacing them with glass/ceramic/enamel/stainless. Is there anything else I need to know immediately?

no candles, no room fresheners, no furniture sprays, no insense burners, no cig smoke, no shake n vac, no spraying deodrants or perfumes, no fly or wasp sprays.... Nothing smelly!
Alternatives....make a pomander by pushing cloves into an orange , lavender, Rosemary, cinnamon sticks.

I think we do have members who have open fires.....do you have a carbon monoxide detector? And make sure the chimney is regularly swept?

Ha - I just rushed back to the computer to warn you about Teflon. :biggrin: Some ovens can also give off fumes if over heated... and even some irons. Perfume shouldn't really be worn around a bird... I used to put some on as I went out the door, but now I just don't wear it. I use vinegar and water to clean the floors these days rather than highly scented floor cleaners.

You are confirming what I thought. I think I remember reading somewhere about vinegar being as good a cleaner as anything and less harmful.

Floors I washing with hot water ,no adds.
But next month thinking to get steam cleaner ( hoping able clean all in house with pure water steam and clean cages)
I look comercial and they clean all with it even baby toys.
I agree that best thing not to use any smelly things . but can make air freshener from natural imgredience
5155.jpg

Fire bad !
Just think of bird as of little baby's.
Honestly I think birds same as little baby's who want try all ,taste all,tougch all. So need to be careful.

We also have an air purifier too. Well it's combined in the Dyson fan. Nice and quiet and the app shows the air quality in the room it's used.

All have been covered pretty much above, but I'm wondering about the fire when the bird comes out of the cage, the bird could go up the chimney? Any advice anyone???
Whenever I go to visit my mums with my parrot I wouldn't dare go in the room with the open fire, fire or no fire in it!

Most chimneys have a vent that you can reach & close when the fire is not in use, otherwise wedge a piece of cardboard or wood there. I would say it would be unusual for a bird to fly up a chimney though as it means going into a small dark unknown area. But always best to be safe.
We have an open fire in this room and of course a guard but the birds are not out when alight. The other room has a glass fronted enclosed wood burner.

Reactions: K8
We have an open fire and no issues, just a guard up.
You can use F10 odour eliminator as an air freshner, it`s completely bird safe
The only other thing which might sound daft but check windows all the time, make sure they are shut and locked

Thanks for the replies. Our fire has a spit guard which fully encloses the opening so there is no way it can get up the chimney.

We have a wood burner and as long as you're only burning wood (no coke, coal, household rubbish, cardboard) you will be fine. No firelighters though, just kindling. Make sure your fire is drawing pro early so that there isn't excess smoke in the room. A guard is a must too, especially since the logs can be just too tempting to chew when they are on the hearth! On the plus side you probably have a ready supply of cheap chew toys - our Amazon loves a log to play with, just make sure it's a safe wood e.g. fruit wood, sycamore, willow, poplar, beech or ash. Avoid conifer, laurel, yew, laburnum, and oak.

Back
Top Bottom