Feeding routine during settling in phase .

Crookesy

Registered
Hi all
Just wanted some advice on feeding during this crucial trust building phase.

Currently my alexandrine has a dry food bowl and a fresh fruit bowl , am I right in thinking that taking the food bowls out after breakfast time then putting them back in later at tea time with fresh food is the best way ? I would have thought this would build a routine and he will learn that me being near his cage is a good thing ? Or do people leave the food bowls in all day and he can just snack whenever he wants?

Yellowchickenparrot

Staff member
Well some people take food out but best to offer food all day but try to have a fresh breakfast meal then just some seed mix for the day then a fresh meal at the end of the day. The more veggies you can get in a parrot the better so concentrate on making fruit and veg time the most yummy and interesting meal

dianaT

Staff member
Mine have their dishes in all day one with Tidymix seeds, a water dish, and one with various fruits & veg which I check as some fruits go off quickly especially if its warmer weather. They also have the occasional millet spray plus a few unsalted nuts. In my opinion food should always be available.

Michael Reynolds

I try to give the veg in the morning no dry seed I sometimes put a grape in the bowl as well. once I have got them to eat there veg I give some fruit. depending on the birds needs as to the dry food side and the mix I will leave them after the veg has gone or needs changing. with a new bird you do not want too change it diet too quickly, you need to try to find out what you bird prefers in the way of food and this can help in training and bonding later, first flight out the cage is best done in the morning but before its breakfast.

Roz

I leave food available in the cages (or wherever they eat) all day.

For breakfast the fresh bowls contains only raw fruit, veggies and sprouts so that they slowly dry out over the course of the day. This one gets replaced in the evening with another bowl of fresh and this time cooked food. Cooked is likely to go off which is why I only provide it in the evening so that I can remove it after a couple of hours. I make the evening meal purposely different to the morning meal so they have something to look forward to when I replace the breakfast bowl. They also have access to their dry bowls (seed, pellets, unsalted tree nuts, etc.) all day and some millet spray tied to the cage bars.

At night I remove everything except for water. Providing a routine is excellent. I believe parrots should have access to food all day... they may not have had their fill if you remove the bowls too quickly.

Top Bottom