feeding amount ?

Scott199

Hi all.

when Bert came, he came on Harrisons high potency pellets and eats them like they are going out of fashion, we had no info on amount to feed, so went with the Harrisons guide, we also mix Harrisons lifetime in but he's not that keen on them yet.

I've been reading a few blogs/books and I think I might be over feeding him, can anyone give me an idea/weight of the daily food yours has.

At this point he gets around 30 grams of pellets per day (20grms in the morning and 10grms around 7:30pm, bed at 8:30pm) and he'll clear his morning/evening food almost instantly, then he gets some form of lunch (usually sprouted mix), then at 4:30/5pm he gets a bowl of fresh veg, around 6:30 he has a avicake (when we have our meal)

veg wise he only nibble's on broccoli, carrot, sweet potato, cauliflower, but 80% of the time its only broccoli or cauliflower. odd piece of apple and a grape.

I seen a few blogs/pictures of the "daily" amount other feed and compared, it seemed a very tiny amount, now he never eats all his sprouted mix or veg.

ive also read 15-20% of body weight but that seems a lot, is this total food intake do you think ?

but I'm wondering how to know what "enough" is ?

(he's still not very hand tame, so weighing would be a real issue)

I'm not sure on amount of pellets for Greys, but as an idea, our bg macaws currently get as standard (can vary in additional food) ....
Breakfast in a foraging tray.
10 x Harrisons High Potency Course
3 x Power Treats
5 x Pine Nuts

Dinner in a normal bowl.
5 - 8 x Harrisons HPC (depending on rest of meal or what snacks they've had through the day)
Veg chop mix

Ideal weight for ours is 1kg, Gary can be up to 1.1kg. We just adjust food accordingly to try and maintain weight, and to avoid the nightmare of hormonal birds!

Still probably vague, but I hope it gives you an idea in relation to a Grey! We had been feeding as per the instructions, and they were happily eating it, but the birds were turning into little chubbers, so we had to work out a balance that suited their needs.

As our vet reminded us, think of how much effort wild parrots go to, for a little food, when our birds get handed it on a plate..... literally!

plumsmum

Harrisons HP should only be fed for the first six months then ideally switch to Adult Lifetime. If the fresh stuff is not as tempting to Bert then give this first when he is most hungry. I'd give my back teeth if my girls would eat Cauli and Brocolli! Really! Try and add something orange or red to the likes and you'd be doing good in my book? Feeding a parrot is never perfect, however much we try, just do your best. Aim for approx 10% of a birds body weight a day total as a starting point. We all over feed, it is our nature. :)

PS have you tried sugar snap peas? The can be an activity and food. My Rubes absolutely loves those, but just the insides?

Scott199

Hi tried most things, he does also eat sweet potato and carrots now on occasion.
but this was more about an idea of quantity really.

just trying to get an idea of how much others feed their greys

so your saying around 10% total food (pellets/veg/sprouting) or 10% pellets and the rest as it comes ?

plumsmum

about 10% total so a 400g bird would get approx 40g over the day as an idea. Obviously if all eaten then you wouldn't starve him/her but it gives an idea, somewhere to start from. Veggies, sprouting, fruit and nuts should be the larger amount, pellets should never be the biggest quantity ideally. Each bird is different, their activity levels, preferences etc so just an idea as we do tend to over feed, don't we? If you measure the whole days intake it is a good exercise for you to see and perhaps avoid waste?

Scott199

Oh also I spoke to Harrison’s about the difference and they say that the HP is more specifically designed towards greys, and looking on the packets, no mention of amount for greys on the lifetime but there is on HP.

I’m still mixing HP and lifetime at the moment and will continue for now.

about 10% total so a 400g bird would get approx 40g over the day as an idea. Obviously if all eaten then you wouldn't starve him/her but it gives an idea, somewhere to start from. Veggies, sprouting, fruit and nuts should be the larger amount, pellets should never be the biggest quantity ideally. Each bird is different, their activity levels, preferences etc so just an idea as we do tend to over feed, don't we? If you measure the whole days intake it is a good exercise for you to see and perhaps avoid waste?
Thats perfect, thanks you, he does get a lot of veg and eats a little but he won't touch it if its cut up, so has to be a branch of broccoli or an inch of carrot or he'll ignore it, he has to be able to hold it and nibble the insides out, so we do waste loads but that's fine, I'm probable under estimating how much veg he eats.

From what I've seen he's certainly on the upper side of the greys size wise, so I guess (until I know) around the 40/50/60g mark a day.

Scott199

So going back to this, im kind of managing the scales idea, what an acceptable variation in weight ?

im not 100% the scale idea is working as its on his cage bottom which is tin, but would you say a 10/20/30g difference is ok as an average ?

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Weight the same time every day first thing in the morning before breakfast and after the morning poop.
The weight of a bird is relevant to that bird ..... I have three african grey hens two are sisters one is perfect for the average hen bird weight the other is a larger in stature bird and weighs in more like a cock bird ... and then there is little Henni only just bigger than a timnah grey if she weighed anywhere near the other two girls my vet would probably hang me by my toes from a ceiling lamp!!
Have a look at Scott E McDonalds website he's an avian vet and click on the article about body weights of the average for species that he has done of birds that come into his practice it's very enlightening http://www.scottemcdonald.com/articles.html

Scott199

Weight the same time every day first thing in the morning before breakfast and after the morning poop.
The weight of a bird is relevant to that bird ..... I have three african grey hens two are sisters one is perfect for the average hen bird weight the other is a larger in stature bird and weighs in more like a cock bird ... and then there is little Henni only just bigger than a timnah grey if she weighed anywhere near the other two girls my vet would probably hang me by my toes from a ceiling lamp!!
Have a look at Scott E McDonalds website he's an avian vet and click on the article about body weights of the average for species that he has done of birds that come into his practice it's very enlightening http://www.scottemcdonald.com/articles.html
Thank you, i do weigh roughly the same time but its around 6pm when he does his training (at this point i have to put scales in his cage and target to them, so he stands on the them for a treat)

i just wondered what kind of fluctuation in weight is acceptable ?

Top Bottom