Feather Damage-amazon

Jeanette

Evening All
Just looking for some reassurance Boo Boo was playing today and came charging into the hallway when he heard me come through the door. He came with such force that he bashed into me and crashed down onto the floor, he didn't yelp however a tail feather immediately came out with some blood on the end followed shortly by another (no blood). There was no bleeding at the site his feathers came out. I just want to know how long it may be before the feathers grow back and is there likely to be any problems due to the feathers coming out following a bang? He is playing fine and flying lots.
Your advice is appreciated...Jeanette & Boo Boo

Hi Jeanette im sure someone will be along shortly to give you some advice , im sure Boo will be ok tho if there's no bleeding just keep an eye on him .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi Jeanette....goodness don't they like to scare us :nut:. You would probably see a little bit of blood on the end of a feather that wasn't destined to come out yet. This used to happen with our Tom Red Lored, he seemed to catch himself in his cage sometimes when something spooked him.

If you are sure that the whole feather has come out and you've checked BooBoo over and that there isn't any bleeding...then I'm pretty sure he'll be fine.

Problems can occur, if the feather breaks - as it really needs the vet to remove the broken part that is left in the follicle.

Just for future reference (and hoping that there won't be reoccurrences anyway) if you don't have any syptic powder...you can use cornflour (called cornstarch over the pond) to stop the bleeding.

If you have any concerns then we would always recommend a check over at the vet.

Thanks Jude...definitely no bleeding and feather looks complete I'm hoping as Boo Boo is still moulting that he has just caught a lose feather that would have come out at some point during his moult. I have the cornflour on hand as i'd not heard of septic powder do I need to get that from a vet? Boo Boo is so energetic and fast these days I have a heart attack almost daily! He has let me rub him all over and play with his other tail feathers with no indication that he was in pain or that any else is wrong so fingers crossed all will be OK xx thank you

Hi Jeanette im sure someone will be along shortly to give you some advice , im sure Boo will be ok tho if there's no bleeding just keep an eye on him .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thanks Shirley although we have had Boo Boo for 2years now I'm still a first time parrot mummy and get very over protective of him lol

Styptic powder...yes vets will have but you can get it on the net from Amazon, various pet supplies places, etc......I don't know if it is a product with a use by date though.

Back
Top Bottom