1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fake Egg Removal

Discussion in 'Breeding And Babies' started by Kehaar, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Kehaar

Kehaar Regular Member

Hi guys,
    Just a quick one. Kouki is currently sitting on the fake eggs I bought her last year for about 2 weeks now. Cicero has been doting on her hand and foot and hanging out with me a lot in the process as she is tucked away in her little nest box. The original eggs that she laid have been put in the freezer as I really could not handle 4 little more birds and I am by no means equipt mentally, financially and spacially to let them breed. Two little crazy birds are enough for me! So I was wondering, how long do I let her sit on these eggs for and is there a process I go by to remove them without causing her upset. I feel removing them all at once would really upset and jilt her.

What do you guys do? I really feel bad about not letting them play out their natural instincts but it would be just a disaster if I did! so this was the best solution I could think of...

Thanks

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I would leave the dummy eggs with her for just over a month and then remove one at a time (when she is busy away from the box)

Kehaar likes this.
  3. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

I think you leave them in till they get bored of it all
    I removed my budgies eggs when she stopped going in to them but she did kick them all out of the groove of the box one by one as they were infertile, but when she stopped going in the box I took the box away

Kehaar likes this.
  4. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

with my african grey I let her sit for a month on dummy eggs then I remove all eggs in one swoop. leave empty box in with her for a day so she can see no eggs then take away the box. she always seems rather relieved once box gone and super playful like the dreadful responsibility of sitting is over
    in wild its not unusual for a whole nest to be blown down or taken by a snake etc so I think are quite ok about it, eggs vanishing one at a time I think would be more of a worry as would be trying to protect whats left.

Kehaar, TomsMum and DizzyBlue like this.
  5. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

most of the smaller conures will sleep in the box all the time they have one as they do not just use them for breeding. it will be hard to tell if she is still laying on the eggs being they are dummy's. with a normal egg that is infertile they will normally break it.

Kehaar likes this.
  6. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

I am with SunnyRing on this one :) let her sit for a month and then a one fell swoop kind of thing.

Kehaar and TomsMum like this.
  7. Kehaar

Kehaar Regular Member

Ah, ok, brilliant, thanks guys :)
    @Michael Reynolds Both C and K sleep in the box at night, which can be rather noisy with all their shuffling and squabbling at 4am, ha!
    I usually get sent packing even if I appraoch the box when they are both out so I will have to distract them with some yummy treats! Bless her, she's a diligent mum, only coming out for 5 mins at a time!

Michael Reynolds likes this.