1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experience With Lories?

Discussion in 'Parrot Chatter' started by Ararajuba, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

I'd be interested to hear about the experiences of members with the Lory family; particularly with regard to their qualities as pets, but also what they are like to keep in general. A few questions that occur:

Are their care/hygeine needs significantly greater than other parrots in practice? I'm aware of their special dietary needs and liquid faeces- but does this mean in practice that constant scrubbing and disinfecting is required, or do they need just a little more than other parrots, given the right set-up?

Food: Do they need liquid nectar mixture to be made up multiple times per day, or can they manage with dry mixture for a time? Do they generally eat much fruit and other foods, compared to their nectar intake?

Lifespan/health: I've seen it said or implied in numerous places that they have relatively short lifespans for birds of their size - most sources suggest a maximum of 10-20 years, and often less due to being prone to health problems. Does this sound correct? Are they significantly more prone to health problems than other parrots, or is this largely a matter of care/nutrition?

What are they like with other birds? I've heard they can be rather prone to bird aggression, for example.

How easy are they to get and keep tame? Is it necessary to have a hand-raised one for it to be a viable pet?

Are they particularly loud, or about the volume you would expect for parrots of their size? I've seen warnings about their potential loudness, but those I have seen in person were nothing out of the ordinary.

Are tame ones generally "one person birds", or are they prone to socialize with the whole family?

How easy is the lory family to breed (in general)?

2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

3. Catalina

Catalina Regular Member

@Ararajuba please feel free to give me a ring at the shop, we have two tame pet lorikeets that we’ve had for around 18 months. They’re great fun, but yes more work! I’m happy for you to pick my brains about lorikeets. And if you’re ever over our way come and meet ours! We feed a dry nectar from Psittacus which does help. I’m on 0191 5277025 and ask for Catalina :)

Ararajuba likes this.
  4. lee burns

lee burns Regular Member Registered

fire away they make very comical pets well worth the extra bits

TomsMum and Ararajuba like this.
  5. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

Thanks Catalina - unfortunately (or fortunately as the case may be) I'm one of the non-UK-based members here. I actually live in Brazil, so I doubt I will be popping by your shop Up North any time soon!

I get the impression that lories are actually more popular as pets here than in the UK, judging by the number of breeders, many of whom sell hand-raised birds, and that it's fairly easy to find lory nectar - even our little local pet shop sells lory nectar, and they mostly have cat and dog stuff, with only the most basic bird supplies. The main local avian pet shop was selling some young rainbow lorikeets early last year (for an exorbitant price), so we got to take a good look at the ones they had. There's not much reliable information here on their care needs though - I suspect many breeders and sellers may be more interested in encouraging customers to buy than explaining what is really involved.

@Catalina and @lee burns - do yours have dry nectar as their staple diet? Can they thrive if they have mainly dry nectar, rather than wet nectar?

6. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I have only cared for lorikeets and there are more experienced people out there but will try to answer your questions

Yes they do need constant cleaning as there droppings are not only very runny but I found can attract fly's

I used to make up feed twice a day but also give them safe flours Like Dandelion to chew and eat as well as some berries

They are very active like the kakarikies and this is why the life span may be shorter than many other species

The ones I have looked after do not get on to well with parrots and I had to let them out in my bedroom away from the other flock

the ones I have looked after will go to any one and had not bonded with a human

The last question I cannot answer but with most birds given the correct facilities and a good diet and two loving birds I have been told they are not that difficult.

They are extremely good pets and love human interactivity

Well I found them quitter than most of my flock members but the ones I looked after produced the similar sound in volume of my ringnecks

Ararajuba likes this.
  7. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

Thanks @Michael Reynolds, that's interesting. I was indeed thinking more of the larger lories, as those in the know seem to think that many of them make better all-round pets than the rainbows (though the rainbows are beautiful of course). I was especially interested in the Chalcopsitta lories such as the brown and black lories due to them tending to have calmer personalities - I like their appearance too, especially the browns, though it probably appeals less to those who expect lories to be very brightly coloured birds!

Did the lorikeets (or any others in the family you have come across) talk or mimic much?

8. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

As I have said my experience is limited as I have only looked after Rainbow's and Duskey. there are two that I will love to see that is the ultramarine and the blue lorikeet only seen photos of them so far