Early signs of plucking or rough moult?

Lauraj

Morning all!
Here for a bit of advice on my lovely little lad!

Bo has had a quite stressful itchy moult recently growing back his wing feathers after he was clipped by the breeder. He gets sprayed down every other day and half of the time he loves his bath and gets soaked (soaking me in the process)

Yesterday i noticed he had some feathers which seem to look frayed on the edges, i saw him preening this area but on the evening when he was giving himself a top to toe!

I have always worried about Bo plucking and wonder if this is the start of potential plucking or if he is having a rough old moult?
The rest of his feathers are in top condition, apart from one small wing feather he snapped months ago when he was too impatient to wait for the cage door to open 🤦🏼‍♀️ (he didn’t bleed and the feather looks to be coming back through)

I have attached some photo’s but they don’t seem to be the best quality, bo is anti-phones at the moment and thinks all phones are to be destroyed so four video’s later managed to get some screenshots of the patch haha! Also have had to resize all to small due to the files been too large.

He is fine in himself, appetite as normal eating all his veggies and fruit and pellets, he chats allll day non stop as usual and has all his foraging toys plus normal toys in his cage for when we are not here.
The only thing that has changed massively is my boyfriend returned to work following lock down so little lad is alone now three days every two/three weeks but because of my shifts this is as i say few and far between.

I might be overreacting but wanted to get your opinion early on before this potentially turns into something!
Thank youuu!

E337A289-B5F8-49EE-A88D-409E4B10F8AB.jpg
0228FAED-6F9B-493C-BD15-1DC9DE022CEF.jpg5128E5B1-051A-4F44-807E-B8D576F302DB.jpg180570EA-A7F7-485E-B6E0-DF0361E2E417.jpg

Just a cheeky ‘mum get that camera out my face’ to end haha!

dianaT

Staff member
I see what you meal maybe they feel odd so that's why he is maybe over preening, let's see what others say.
Overall he looks in excellent feather and is very handsome.

Lauraj

I see what you meal maybe they feel odd so that's why he is maybe over preening, let's see what others say.
Overall he looks in excellent feather and is very handsome.
Thank you! Yeah that could be why, this is his first moult and it seems to be going on for ages! I can imagine it’s frustrating and itchy for him especially if they don’t grow back in the same way!
My favourite are his tiny tiny feathers on the top of his head, i love it when they fall out haha!
We do try very hard with him, he is wonderful 🥰

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Looking blinking good over there :thumbsup:
See if he wants to have a proper bath some birds do like a splash of water to get properly bathed two of mine are quite happy to have a splash in the kitchen sink with the tap running (very gently)
Try not to pay too much obvious attention to what he's doing sneak peeks as you don't want any adverse reinforcements going on the oooo I do this and mum is instantly here....

Lauraj

Looking blinking good over there :thumbsup:
See if he wants to have a proper bath some birds do like a splash of water to get properly bathed two of mine are quite happy to have a splash in the kitchen sink with the tap running (very gently)
Try not to pay too much obvious attention to what he's doing sneak peeks as you don't want any adverse reinforcements going on the oooo I do this and mum is instantly here....
Thank you!
I will offer him a bath in the sink tomorrow morning, he’s an odd ball and some days loves going into the kitchen to do breakfast and other days he won’t leave the living room ha! Our parrotlet only gets baths in the sink so hopefully Bo will follow suit, my aim is to get him to the shower eventually now he walks up the stairs!

That’s great advice, i did go straight to him last night when he groomed that area and didn’t even think about that. I will try to monitor the area when he is out of his cage playing or having tickles of some sort rather than when he is grooming! Thank you so much!

Lauraj

Good morning all,

So Bo’s neck seems to be getting better, however the boyfriend has woken Bo up this morning and these feathers have been at the bottom of the lads cage.
Do these appear to be moulted feathers or plucked?

I know i worry a lot, but with his neck now this my mind has gone haha!

3810E8BC-FE3C-4DB1-A94D-BE21E6769B30.jpeg

JEGL22

I wouldn't worry. I panicked so much over if my baby was plucking when I found 10ish feathers or so as I thought that was plucking. I didn't realise that was just normal. When I woke up to find the cage bottom covered and I mean covered then I realised all those other times over the years were me being over anxious. Also, I believe (but I stand to be corrected) that they can't pluck out tail feathers, only snip them, so if it's a full red feather with the quill, it's a naturally mounted feather.

Top Bottom