Documentation Required for Moving Abroad with Parrot (GCC - UK to EU)

mialitla

Registered
Hello,

So I don't have a parrot yet, I'm just trying to do my research in advance.

I'm hoping to get a GCC within the next year or so, but within the next 10-15 years I might be moving to mainland Europe both to be closer to my family and for my partner's job. Since this is a possibility, I want to know that I'll be able to take my parrot with me. I've found some pet relocation companies who are 'experts' at relocating birds, but they haven't been much help in terms of helping me understand what's involved in the process of taking Polly abroad.

I realise that GCC's are classed as CITES II. Do I need a CITES certificate when moving?

Is there any other documentation/information should I be looking at getting from the breeder (I think I'll need the parent birds' information)?

I've also read a bit about pet passports and microchips. Is this a good idea for a parrot?

I'd really appreciate any advice anybody has to offer!

CaptainHowdy

Hello,

So I don't have a parrot yet, I'm just trying to do my research in advance.

I'm hoping to get a GCC within the next year or so, but within the next 10-15 years I might be moving to mainland Europe both to be closer to my family and for my partner's job. Since this is a possibility, I want to know that I'll be able to take my parrot with me. I've found some pet relocation companies who are 'experts' at relocating birds, but they haven't been much help in terms of helping me understand what's involved in the process of taking Polly abroad.

I realise that GCC's are classed as CITES II. Do I need a CITES certificate when moving?

Is there any other documentation/information should I be looking at getting from the breeder (I think I'll need the parent birds' information)?

I've also read a bit about pet passports and microchips. Is this a good idea for a parrot?

I'd really appreciate any advice anybody has to offer!
I can't advise of the current legislation but I know we have had a few members move countries with their birds so I'm sure they'll advise. However legislation and laws are frequently changing so who knows what hoops will need to be jumped through in 10 years time, it is ever changing so we can only advise on the current situation unfortunately.

I would however get your little one microchipped regardless as it is the best way of proving ownership. I would also get basic blood work done to rule out underlying illnesses When you do get your little one :)

Michael Reynolds

Hello and welcome, Good advice given, now current rules your bird will need to be checked for health by an avian vet, all you will need for a green cheek conure is the pet passport, but as we are not going to be in Europe by the time you may move regulations may change, there can be other restrictions brought in that we cannot predict, bird flu caused restrictions, birds may have to go through quarantine, there are so many changes that may happen, countries like New Zeeland will not allow any bird to be imported. this virus may cause so many international changes, unfortunately the rules today may not apply in the future

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Hi, I agree with others that there is no way of knowing what papers you will need to have by the time you move. When I brought Dora (Senegal) and 3 chickens to France with me in 2018 I declared their presence in the car both in advance of travelling, and at the Eurotunnel but nobody checked any papers!

Top Bottom