1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Your Birds Know Their Own Name?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Heather2131, May 19, 2017.

1. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

Do you think they know that that is their name and it's not just another word such as "come here"
    I say Archie to get his attention and he'll respond, sometimes I throw the word Jack in there to see what he thinks and he goes all funny when I say that as it was his original name apparently

I'm not sure if he knows either are his name or just words, and if I say a word in his direction in 'that' voice he will respond coz he's interested.

What about your birds? Do they know they have a name?

2. Paulmandy

Paulmandy Regular Member Registered

Mine was called nipper before he came to us we renamed him boe.. he responds to boe but as u on an occasion i said the name. He stopped what he was doing and just stared at me. Lets say if looks could kill... but maybe thats just my interpretation of his look..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Dell27 and Heather2131 like this.
  3. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I am pretty sure mine know their names, they stop and look when called.

4. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Yes they do I can say that all the birds that have been called there name often respond an know it is them you want to react with. this is one reason I do not change the name of a bird that has been a pet. although they will get used to another name in time and especially if you call whilst looking but what I have found is I can get a response from the birds I call out to with out even being in the room.

5. Stinkie

Stinkie Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I'm not sure... if he does I don't think it registers with him that he should respond.

I know he does know what 'food' and 'water' means at least, and I also know he has a special call for me that is different from all his other calls.

But his name? no idea! He does react to 'come on' so maybe he thinks that's his name.

DizzyBlue and Heather2131 like this.
  6. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

I'm pretty sure Vivi knows her own name, and that it means her. She will often only do something I command them to do if I repeatedly order her by name. If I tell them both, or an unspecifed bird, to do something when she doesn't feel like it (which is often), she tends to have a sudden attack of hearing impairment, or incomprehension, and pretends not to know what I'm talking about at all - but if I keep saying something like "Come on, Vivi too!" she will usually change her mind and obey eventually. If I don't talk to her by name she will usually go on pretending not to hear/understand. Dido, on the other hand, doesn't seem to care what her name is all that much, and will usually obey any command she hears if she thinks she will get a present for doing so, even if I have specifically told Vivi (ie. NOT her) to do it, and she is already in the middle of eating her reward. I'm not sure what (if anything) she thinks her own name is, but I'm pretty sure she thinks I (maybe all familiar humans?) am called "Birdie", judging by the way she likes to utilize this word in her "deep" conversations with us.

7. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

Sophie was the third bird I have had that the origonal owner had called Charlie. We didn't think she much responded to the word Charlie and renamed her Sophie very quickly and she does know we mean her when we say her name and responds.

Heather2131 and dianaT like this.
  8. Bradders

Bradders Parrot Power! Staff Member Moderator

What an interesting question. OH says yes but I'm not sure. Am I putting human reasoning on a bird's actions? It's a mystery, just like how she appears to dance when she sings, is that real?

9. Dell27

Dell27 Regular Member

I have 13 birds and all of them apart from a pair of love birds know there names. I rehome birds so I have 2 jaspers and 2 Jazz's so have changed the names slightly and now have Jaspie and jasper, and Jazz and Jazzie but they know which one I mean when I say their names.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

10. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I know how you fill having two joeies and two Joe Joe's now then Jackie Jo Joe will often call out JoJoe and this is not a problem but she can imitate my voice and calls Joe Joe and joe joe my ringneck will fly over to me and call his normal two chirps. expecting a treat. when both are out and I call Joe joe they both react and Jackie will walk to me and Joe Joe comes close looking for his treat. if I call Charlie ,Pringle Ricky Niblet Sparky, knobby whilst in the kitchen each will normally come as they had been called. when I was free flying it was essential that the bird new you are calling them although you could call a general return call you may need to call each one separately. now a great example is Holly and Molly both very close names at first Molly responded when I called Holly but now she has learnt that holly is not her and only responds to molly holly never responded to the call Molly and only to her own name. is it the name call or the pattern of sound they respond too but for any reason a bird that has its name called and with sufficient rewards will associate being called that sound is good and will react.

11. denzarki

denzarki Regular Member

I wouldn't know, echo ignores you whatever you say.. Unless she thinks me eating is her name cos she always comes over then lol

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

12. bikergirl Carol

bikergirl Carol Regular Member

My Charlie does, i think. When i call him he will look or come to me. but he will also ignore me if he is in the mood :aaaaa:

13. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Birds know their own name AND the one we give them :)
    Ok confusing answer from me as always but there was a study that as a sideline identified in early 2000 that chicks are named by their parents and the siblings each use the specific sound to identify their siblings. Think it was a guy from National Geographic that first noticed it in the wild parrots. After that it got reported everywhere and various specific studies were undertaken to see if it was rue.
    http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2011/07/parrots-learn-their-names-their-parents

Kerin and sunnyring like this.
  14. layla

layla Regular Member Registered

I believe they do spot responds when you say his name he will stop what he is doing and come to me or if I'm not in the room and say his name he will do his special call to me to acknowledge he has heard me. The only time I would say he doesn't listen to his name is if I'm telling him spot stop that... usually when he's trying to destroy my things which is pretty often. ..:nono:

15. Kerin

Kerin Regular Member

Mine all do, Chewy knows he is a good boy, Pea shows a definite reaction to being called by his name, and even Maddie is starting to show me that she knows who she is, although her reaction is a little more muted :)