Disease testing

Tonifrax

Hi, hope everyone is having a nice day.

Soooo... I need to take bird poop samples every morning for 3 days and to send off to a lab to get tested. Weird question but the sample i took yesterday has dried up... Does that matter? :oops: i havent done it before so just wanted to make sure im doing it correctly.

Thanks 😀

CaptainHowdy

Hi, hope everyone is having a nice day.

Soooo... I need to take bird poop samples every morning for 3 days and to send off to a lab to get tested. Weird question but the sample i took yesterday has dried up... Does that matter? :oops: i havent done it before so just wanted to make sure im doing it correctly.

Thanks 😀
Is this to test for psittacosis? If so doing a faecal sample is a waste of time. You can get false negatives from it. You want to do it by blood sample.

Tonifrax

Is this to test for psittacosis? If so doing a faecal sample is a waste of time. You can get false negatives from it. You want to do it by blood sample.
I'm doing it as per a rescue centres instructions. They will not rehome one of their birds to me unless I do this.

CaptainHowdy

I'm doing it as per a rescue centres instructions. They will not rehome one of their birds to me unless I do this.
Strange that they've asked for faecal testing rather than blood testing.
It sheds in 10 day cycles and the bird needs to be actively shedding it on the day you take the sample for it to have a chance of being positive. You need to pick the sample it's defo been shed in to come back positive.
Birds can have it as carriers but not start shedding or get the active infection until they get stressed out. Some never show signs of having it but infect numerous others.

Personally I'd test by blood to be certain either way and if you do have a rescue bird I'd always want that one tested by blood to ensure the safety of your current flock.

I also disease test all mine for pbfd by blood.

You never know how many homes others birds have been in and how many other birds they have been exposed to either directly or indirectly by carrying things on your clothes etc.

But if that's what the rescue is happy with 🤷‍♀️

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I'd go the whole nine yards .... do what they want and then go the extra mile and have blood testing done to make sure. Would have thought that they would be happy if your doing a better test than the "poop hit and miss" test :thinking: nowt so strange as folk....

Tonifrax

Again, just doing as ive been advised to do. The rescue has their own avian vet so I am sure they are following the correct procedures but my birds are due a trip to the vets anyway so will be getting bloods too. Ive never done the faecal sample thing before though so just wondered if it mattered if it dried up in the tub ive put it in or if thats fine. Probably a silly question but just thought id make sure im doing it properly

Top Bottom