1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappearing Links

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Ararajuba, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

Anyone know why the links have disappeared in this thread that I posted a few months back? https://theparrotclub.co.uk/communi...-pictures-and-a-big-thanks-to-the-wife.33617/

I have no way of checking on the images (perhaps they expired eventually due to me using a free host), but the video link is still definitely working on the host site (Vimeo). It's only showing a very blurry image (far worse than the original) on here, however, with no playable video. I was thinking of posting a few more videos on the same subject soon, so it would be nice to know what is going on here and whether this problem is likely to reoccur!

Or is it just me who can't see the links? I do seem to get a lot of glitches with the Members Forum here, unfortunately. For some time the whole forum was invisible, for no apparent reason!

2. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Not sure what's going on there. The pictures are showing as a greyed out box with a red X through them this side which usually means no longer hosted I have that when it comes to photobucket as dropped the hosting myself on there, if people move the place in a set hosted software package that things are then that sometimes brings up this strange crossed out box too.
    Items haven't been removed by the site staff as that would show just a blank square with nothing there at all.
    We haven't uploaded and software upgrades for a while so its not that either …..
    I can still see the video and its clear on my side viewing it....

@Bob any ideas?

Ararajuba likes this.
  3. Bob

Bob Bird Whisperer Staff Member Admin

Not sure why the photos are not showing, could be to do with the free host, the video plays fine for me also..

DizzyBlue likes this.
  4. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

Ah, never mind, seems the video works again once I enable every single option on my firefox adblocker, so it was probably just this blocking a script necessary to play embedded videos here. I could have sworn I tried this already though, and it semed to be working on other sites with the default options, so perhaps video embedding works slightly differently here to most places! Probably not too much harm in just enabling everything here if I can't figure out what is causing this issue, as there don't seem to be any suspicious or intrusive scripts running on this site, and everything that does run is 1st party. One of the very few forums this can be said for these days, I think!

The images are still not showing, but I expect the solution for that is just to get a proper image hosting account somewhere if I want them to persist... Anyone know a good (preferably free) one these days? There don't seem to be many left!

Thanks anyway. :biggrin: