Disabled Cockatiel

Kendra

I am trying to set up a new cage for my cockatiel who now has trouble moving around, his little legs are not performing too well. I wish him to go to different levels in the cage, but not too keen on ramps for her. We have some broad rope perches but would like an alternative for her if she chooses, does anyone have any suggestions please?

Would she be able to climb up a gentle slope or suitable ladder placed at a slant?

@dianaT Thank you. I was wondering about the gentle slop thing but unsure how to do it, would she be able to climb a plane piece of wood or would it need ridges on?, just not sure. I have loads of ladders for her, but somehow they do not look right, it is probably me as she can get around the cage bars OK .

I think I have exhausted the Natural Brid place, have some platform etc from there, but no ramps.

Old age and arthritis, daily essentials seems to ease her a bit but would like her to see an avian vet if I can find one that is not a day's trip away.

I would think
@dianaT Thank you. I was wondering about the gentle slop thing but unsure how to do it, would she be able to climb a plane piece of wood or would it need ridges on?, just not sure. I have loads of ladders for her, but somehow they do not look right, it is probably me as she can get around the cage bars OK .

I think I have exhausted the Natural Brid place, have some platform etc from there, but no ramps.
I would think ridges would help, Could you tie in a ladder at a gentle slope - start at 1 in 12 or 1in 15 and change it to steeper if you think she is coping well and needs a steeper slope, or a stepped approach with several flat perches one above the other to give a gentle slope. plus maybe a side rope so she can use her beak to help pull herself up and steady herself

@Kendra I would like to make your bird more happy and make a way that will allow you bird to be safe and move around more easy and be able to roost without the fear of falling, I Have often custom made perches and toys for cages to suit disabled birds needs but also provide them with a challenge that will try to make the most of the ability and movement that your bird currently has, there will be no costs involved as most things I make come from materials and wood from the farm, If you can send a photo of the cage and state its size. I will love to know your birds habits before it became disabled, (things like were in the cage it loved to roost, and what type of toys it loved to play with) the more I know the better I can help you make his life better,

Many of the birds I have purchased have problems that need to be sorted to make there life better, even Malcolm in my current avatar had a constant twitch of his head that could make him get off balance and have small injuries to his face, little things helped like fixing a soft material near his favourite roosting point, using soft toys and even down to the feeding bowls being shallow so he did not bash his beak on the pot as he tried to feed he still has a twitch but not as bad as it was, the original problem was caused by an ear infection that is now cleared. the twitching now is more down to habit he was four when I took him on and I believe that the ear problem he had from a young age.

@Michael Reynolds I can not find my camera and my mobile is poorly, so unable to take a picture. (We have just moved and probably will be sorted in about 2 years) They have the new Montana San Reno ll, which is barely like the original one, such a disappointment. (She lives with a Burke's parakeet who is old but quite healthy). She came as part of a rescue group around 18 years ago, always lived freely but in the last 10 years has gradually returned to her cage more often. She does not play with toys, never has but will chew soft wood and cardboard, only fruit she will touch is apple, although she does eat plenty of small chopped veg, Tidymix parakeet seed. Always choses the highest perch in the cage that she can reach for roosting. I will find a photo with cage size online.

Back
Top Bottom