1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dendrobium Orchid

Discussion in 'Food And Diet' started by Heather2131, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

My dendrobium orchid is starting to drop its flowers
    From what ive read, orchids are safe for birds and I did read that they occur in their natural habitat

Would these be edible for the birds? I dont know if I would feed them these ones since I bought it already flowered, I dont know if they are treat with chemicals, I got it from morrisons.

But what about the next time it flowers? Would it be safe then?

Just wondering, seems a waste when the flowers are there...

IMAG1661-2628x3504.jpg

dianaT likes this.
  2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Ooo that’s a nice colour. I have a white one and a pale pink one.
    Yes foliage and flowers are noted as safe for parrots....but we aren’t growing them in their natural habitat. I use both orchid plant food and the mist nutrient spray, so I wouldn’t give to my guys.

3. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

Yes I wondered about orchid plant food too, I havent used it yet though

Right well I wont let them have any then!
    The next one I want is blue! I did see some blue type in tescos not long ago, wish id bought it now...

Above the tank in the hanging basket is my spider plant, my auntie gave me a little baby and its growing quite well.

Do you have any other parrot safe houseplants @TomsMum ? im always looking for ideas

4. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

A friend of mine has a Columbian girlfriend and she says that orchids crow wild over there. So I guess in that respect they are safe but..... over here sold by many supermarkets and sprayed with all kinds of gunk I would say its just not worth it unless you can grow your own. I am sure you will have things in your garden that could be offered and you be confident they are clean and safe after a good wash.

5. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

:risas3: Although I’m quite good in the garden and grow lots in tubs and pots outside, I’m a pretty lousy houseplant person @Heather2131.
    I keep my orchids in my hobby room and the bathroom and shower room. I don’t have any plants in the lounge where the boys are.

Heather2131 likes this.
  6. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I did not think they made any noises that humans can hear @Nigel

Nigalius likes this.