1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dehydrated Fruit

Discussion in 'Food And Diet' started by Heather2131, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

The caiques like to eat dehydrated kiwi, I dry it out in the oven for like 8 hours or so
    As well as orange, grapefruit, apple etc

Is this okay? Does it have all the goodness of fresh fruit? Does anyone else do this?

plumsmum likes this.
  2. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member Registered

@Heather2131
    I cannot see why not and looking about for some info as long as it is done correctly it is good. Dried fruit is slightly lower in vitamins and minerals than fresh fruit. Both supply you with antioxidants and fibre, dried fruit does lose a small percentage of its vitamins during the dehydration process. I think the calories increase as a result of being dried.
    How long do you store the fruit like this?
    What lucky birdies. :)

Have you heard of fruit leather?

3. RoyJess

RoyJess Regular Member Registered

Yes that is correct, dried fruit has a higher concentration of sugars as a result of the water being removed

4. SilverCell

SilverCell Regular Member

I feed my birds dried fruit and dried berries daily they seem to love them, I just buy the tidymix dried fruits and berries but if I could do it myself that would be great, what temperature do you set the oven to? I will give it a go and see how I get on.

Shirley likes this.
  5. Heather2131

Nope what is fruit leather?

I think it's about 50°c just read about it online to get the correct temperature and timing for different fruits @SilverCell
    Took us a few goes haha try and slice all fruit evenly

I've never really stored any yet, it's only been a week or so, they're in a Tupperware box at the moment, I think you need to leave them to dry further before you seal them in a box, don't they last a long time?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  6. plumsmum

7. Heather2131

That looks good wonder if the birds would like it
    Could you mix different things in for parrots such as seeds or nuts for treats

plumsmum likes this.
  8. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

If your drying apple you just got ride of the thiamin, pentothenic acid, vitamin c fell through the floor boards, the folate just vanished as well but to be honest it's only present at 5% in the peel, you got rid of the vitamin A as well as the trace of calcium you increased the sodium as well as the iron (ok if your a human!) oh and concentrated the selenium....

Errr don't wish to rain on the parade but just highlight the things that would happen as this isn't a healthy replacement or substitute for fresh and should only be given as a treat every now and then ....... :thumbsup:

Shirley likes this.
  9. Heather2131

What about the kiwi, orange, stawberries, raspberries? @DizzyBlue

I just think it's a different fun thing for them, change things up a bit
    I still serve fresh everyday

plumsmum likes this.
  10. RoyJess

We alternate what we give our birds each day. Fresh fruit one day and then Veg the next.

I cut up all of the following on alternative days and divide them between the birds

Pear
    Apple
    Melon
    Banana
    Orange
    Cheese (small amount)

And the following if we have them
    Strawberries
    Raspberries
    Chilli
    Grape
    Pinapple

Veg wise they get

Peas
    Sweetcorn
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower

Heather2131 likes this.
  11. plumsmum

12. Heather2131

Interesting @plumsmum such a shame, guess it will just have to be a treat!

plumsmum likes this.
  13. RoyJess

14. plumsmum

"With the home dehydrating of fruit, however, it's a different story. A home dehydrator does nothing more than blow warm air up through the fresh fruit, and it's not nearly as harsh on the nutrients. The fruit is still "dried" and lasts longer than fresh fruit, but using a home dehydrator is gentler on the fruit than commercial processing. Even though home dehydration is not a bad way to go from an overall nutrient standpoint, it still causes some concern from a sugar and calories standpoint."

Still a nice one for you and your feathered babies.

Heather2131 likes this.
  15. Heather2131

Ooh well that's alright then! I'll still feed it along side everything else

plumsmum likes this.
  16. plumsmum

As they say with most things, 'in moderation', now and again, not everyday OK? You know what they say about too much of a good thing LOL?

If it works as a motivator/training aid then keep for then? Remember the calories and sugar which should be always kept in mind for our birdies.

17. Heather2131

Yeah they get different things everyday, they're having raspberries today and some sweet potato