DEFRA Bird Movement Restrictions In Place

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
There is apparently now restrictions in place for the movement of birds that will include parrots!
Just read this and will try and find out from DEFRA website exact restricted area and new regulations
Last time it included covering aviaries and the use of foot/boot dips amongst some of the precautions
Movement of any birds within restricted zones or through them usually results in birds concerned being euthanized and a large fine without exception. Will try to clarify later.

This is very sad to see again, my ladies have the whole of our garden to run in normally, seems they must be confined to quarters again!

Cases are on the increase of bird flu especially in the EU
Please ensure your aviary is covered/chickens etc are protected and foot dips are in place
Latest statistics of its prevalence can be read on this link

Out of interest, does anyone know what would happen if your outdoor flock of hens got avian flu? I know that the whole flock would have to be euthanized, but what also worries me is what stand they would take about birds kept inside? Because they're housed separately, with biosecurity measures in between, I expect they'd treat them as separate, but it is an additional worry in the back of my mind. I just wondered if anyone has already looked into this?

So much will depend on the level of bio security you have in place, if they fill that the indoor birds may have a chance of contracting the virus getting to them then they will not take any chances. best prevent the chickens from getting the virus by keeping them enclosed and covered from the out side birds.

Yes we do keep them separate, wear disposable gloves and disposable overshoes with the hens, and wash our hands before interacting with the parrots. We also change our clothes if we've been cleaning out the hens before being with the parrots. We do all this as normal procedure with or without avian flu, so there wouldn't be a risk. We've also got the facility to be able to lock the chickens inside the coop with other access to a covered/mesh sided run so the wild birds can't access them. I'm confident that the hens will be absolutely fine, I just worry that if the worst happened, a total jobsworth would be assigned! I'm just overthinking it as usual probably!

Unfortunately it's all birds on the premises plus any within a set parameter distance that are euthanized you are not over thinking it.
so him foot dips and all birds inside (sealed covered aviary is acceptable
don't put out anything for wild birds feed them nowhere near yours if you feel you must

Just another point.... F10 isn't defra approved. Not because it wouldn't meet the standards, as it's been approved by a load of other standards. It appears to be a choice. They do acknowledge that in an outbreak, defra approved items must be used.

Back
Top Bottom