Decorating!

Bradders

Parrot Power!
Hi everyone!

Having some decorating done professionally. Ruby’s cage is located in our open plan dining room, hall stairs and landing. There is also no door leading to the kitchen. These rooms are the ones being decorated. Decorator is keen to use oil based paints but after emailing our vet, I’m going to insist on low VOC water based paints for the woodwork and radiators.

The work is going to take four working days (which will have a weekend in between) and during the day, Ruby will be coming to work with me. Evenings and weekends, she will be home. My plan is for her to be in the living room/bedroom during these times where we do have an air purifier. My concern is the sheer amount of painting that will be done - it’s half the house! And that the rooms not being decorated are only one door away from those that are.

Do you think it will be safe for her during the times she is at home?

any advice/experiences would be gratefully received!

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Ooo gawd that's a lot ….. errrr how about an impromptu holiday over at the vets just to make sure you manage to get the place aired properly?
If its done as VOC water based all around you should be able to get it aired ok but if there is oil based on other things that is going to stink to high heaven for a few days and take a week to settle off the emitted chemicals .....
I would be saying all windows stay open while he's there painting and the purifier gets turned on before you come home …… you could do as I did which is also seal off where I could when I was painting (mine is through dinner into lounge etc so I put up plastic sheeting and tape sealed the areas off where I could ie door closed and a plastic sheet the other side to help keep it out of certain rooms....

plumsmum

Um a quandry, water based paint is not so good IMHO. Have you a friend, parrot sitter or at a pinch boarding at the vets for a few days? Are you having new carpets too?

CaptainHowdy

I had this problem when we moved. But I left the boys at my folks until I was certain the fumes had all gone.

If you can id have little one at someone's house or boarded at the vets until it's finished and the smells gone completely. Better to be safe in my opinion.

Bradders

Parrot Power!
Thanks for your suggestions! Not worth the stress so I’ve emailed the vets to see if they’ve got room for her. I’ve allowed for the time the decorator is there and three extra days to let it completely dry out. During this time, we will freeze by having all the windows open to help it along! I’d rather be missing her than worrying about those potential fumes!

plumsmum

Thanks for your suggestions! Not worth the stress so I’ve emailed the vets to see if they’ve got room for her. I’ve allowed for the time the decorator is there and three extra days to let it completely dry out. During this time, we will freeze by having all the windows open to help it along! I’d rather be missing her than worrying about those potential fumes!
I'd have her hun if you are anywhere near me? A combo of heating and airing the room works well I have found.

Jeanette

Evening All
I can vouch for how good the paints are from Lakeland and they are the only company who do completely VOC & toxin free, I first heard of them because my mom had COPD and needed her house painted, I've never looked back since, brilliant for environment, people with breathing conditions and harmless to parrots and no odour at all 😊

Top Bottom