1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cuttlefish Bone

Discussion in 'Food And Diet' started by Nigalius, May 14, 2018.

1. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

A neighbour has called to give me a few Cuttlefish Bones for Nacho and Roxy. I am told they are washed though of course I can wash them to my satisfaction but can anyone tell me are they ok for the birds. I remember when I was a kid we used to have one in a budgerigar cage and I guess they were bought in some kind of pet shop. But these ones picked up from the beach, would they be safe and if so, what are the health benefits?

Thanks.

2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

They are a source of calcium.

Think about the environment they’ve come form...is it a good clean beach, or near any pollution source or sewage outlet, for example.

As far as I know you need to boil them in water to help remove the salt, then soak in cold water for a week, changing the water every day, then dry out in the oven...so in my view not really worth the risk or the energy!

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  3. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

they will need to be boiled to clean and extract the salt. soak in could water for ten days and change ater daily that given the choice I found that the processed cuttlefish was left untouched if I had the boiled in at the same time in a cage. it dose not take long for a senney to destroy them oh well ive just seen @TomsMum post

TomsMum likes this.
  4. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

I used to buy them for Charlie Conure, but he just used to break them up into pieces, not eat them!

5. Zoe220615

Zoe220615 Regular Member

None of mine rarely touch theres.

6. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Mine usually shred theirs to bits!

7. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Given that I can purchase un processed but prepared from a local breeder whom has a son that is a fisherman that I see at the local shows. At first I was a little concerned but he got me to take one out of the bag and feed one of his parrots. I now look out for him at the shows. I always place them above there food bowl as the bits fall in it so they still get the benefit. drill a hole and tie it to the cage using a plastic tie then the bird cannot just crush it on the floor at first.

8. Nigalius

I see. Thanks for the info. I might do it just once just so I can say I did it but will be thorough in my cleaning and soaking. By the sound of it I wont be making a regular habit of it and this will just be a one off. But i'll see what the reaction is first though.

9. marley

marley Regular Member

I pick them up on the beach, rinse them over and dry on open trays in the greenhouse then feed to the cockatiels, they love them. I have been doing this for years with no problems although I do tend to go through phases of it as I don't go to the beaches that much so they may get a whole seed tray full then none for several months. I make a lot of toys for the parrots out of cardboard boxes threaded on leather or chain and I sometimes drill some small cuttlefish and add them to the toys, the parrots usually just destroy them but some do seem to eat it as well, I believe that they add valuable natural trace elements to their diet.

dianaT likes this.
  10. Nigalius

Thanks for all your info's all and right now I am boiling 4 bones. I'll then soak them fos some time and just see what reaction I get. I suppose one reason I want to try is just that I know they have not been treated with any nasties and have come off a 100% clean beach which is one of Scotland's best nature reserves. I think I would be a bit like @marley where I will do this for a while and then leave for a while. The main thing I was concerned about was the salt content and I think the boiling and rinsing in fresh water will take care of that.

TomsMum likes this.
  11. marley

marley Regular Member

As long as it's from a good clean my only thought would be that boiling/soaking would remove all the trace elements etc and basically negate the whole purpose, I do not think the natural salt levels are a problem personally, if they ate huge amounts maybe but IMO unlikely. Let us know what the birds think of it.

12. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

My lot love their cuttlefish. Gizzie preferes when it is broken into a size that he has as a foot toy and after playing with it he dips it in his water bowl and then properly eats it.
    All the others like it clipped onto their cage and they all eat it.

marley likes this.
  13. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I did think that too @marley , all that boiling, soaking etc will wash away any of the trace elements. Anyway folk will do what they will do if they think it best/safer for their birds.

marley likes this.