1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Perches - Gauging Interest

Discussion in 'For Sale and Bargain Links' started by Trum, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Trum

Trum Regular Member

I hope this is an OK thread to make, i got permission but im unsure if im able to incorporate a discussion of sorts here but lets try.

To satisfy the for sale angle i have a bunch of my perches on https://www.ebay.co.uk right now and they can be found by searching for "apple wood perch".

Now here is where i struggle, i don't know how much to charge, i put them up to test the waters, they might be too expensive or maybe a bargain, i have no idea, I don't want to rip anyone off but i don't want to lose money so this thread is not only about the perches for sale but if people had a general idea on what i should be selling them for, I won't be turning into some sort of shop or big scale venture, i just make my perches when i'm stressed as my therapist told me I need an outlet.

I also have a little trouble with dimensions and what bird is suited to what, i only have a budgie and never had any other birds, i took a stab in the dark and tried to be as accurate as i could be with perch size to parrot size, any help with sizes would also be really welcome.

dianaT and plumsmum like this.
  2. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Go research Java Perches at the two usual suppliers - you must know who? It will give some idea of sizes and prices which ultimately is up to you. Just hope we will get preferential rates though on here LOL? OMG that should boost the membership :biggrin: I am really interested in a two ended perch but hopeless with a tape measure :)

3. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I'll have to get hubby to measure up as I'm useless with measurement, but it will likely be tomorrow as he's watching TV (or should have having a nap in front of it!)
    I looked on Ebay and in my opinion your prices are reasonable.

4. Zoe220615

Zoe220615 Regular Member

Can i have a link to your perches?

5. dianaT

Zoe I went to ebay and type in apple wood perches and the ones that came up look like the ones in the thread.

6. Zoe220615

Zoe220615 Regular Member

Thanks found them was me being lazy lol

7. dianaT

I always use hazel or willow for my parrots as we have access to these trees. The sizes vary from approx 1-2inch dia for Senegals/Moustached Parakeets and for my Amazon approx 2-3inch dia, but, they also have a variety of smaller and larger in their cages so as to exercise the feet on varying ones. Hope this helps.

8. Trum

Trum Regular Member

Yeh sorry about that, i just feel a bit funny posting my ebay link as its my real name, i understand its no problem but if i post it it will be here forever, maybe its me being overly paranoid!

Zoe220615 likes this.
  9. Trum

Trum Regular Member

What is a two ended perch? As in a perch that forks like a slingshot shape? that sort of perch would be really interesting to make, could even mix and match style, spiral one side and a natural on the other or anything else really, this is my favorite design for the perches i make, Dicky has a lot of them.

[​IMG]

10. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

I think a two-ended perch is a perch that has fixings at both ends ?????

plumsmum likes this.
  11. Trum

Trum Regular Member

Ah ok, i'm not exactly up on the perch terminology it seems! I made Dicky a full length perch using teh same style as the image above, its a lot of extra work making sure it fits perfectly but it's doable.

plumsmum and TomsMum like this.
  12. Trum

Trum Regular Member

Just out of interest did someone from the forum buy a perch? Someone bought a small perch from me, i put a second perch in as a gift hoping whoever bought it will have an extra happy bird! I hope its someone from here, such a lovely forum!

dianaT and plumsmum like this.
  13. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Ah that is kind :)

14. marley

marley Regular Member

They look nice and very well made and I wish you well but in my opinion they will not last 5 minutes with parrots, really good for budgies, cockies etc and add some interest but my lot would wreck them instantly especially as they are really a soft wood. Java which is probably a bench mark for you is coffee wood which is a hard wood and is oven baked so it really takes some punishment before it gives up (although I have a few who will wreck it!)

Really good idea though, well done. Maybe some small bird swings as well??

15. Trum

Trum Regular Member

Wait apple is soft wood? Its damn hard from what i can tell, its incredibly slow growing and super tough, sure a parrot could chew it up but honestly i have never felt wood as hard in my life, i also dont have any harder woods near me that i can be 100% certain of them being safe for birds, thats my #1 concern, dont want any harm to come to any animal.

Michael Reynolds and plumsmum like this.
  16. Nik

Nik Regular Member Registered

And that's why you get 1 extra, to replace it!!! :D
    The work is amazing ;) , Rosie is a medium sized parrot and she does breaks everything thats not metal... I guess thats what they do, it doesn't bother me, thats how she entertains herself, but i guess if you can make bigger perches, thicker etc. They can last for longer and of corse they will need replacement probably more often for some parrots, but if price is not crazy you will have a busy business... :D
    I mean the Galah literally took of the door frame while i just went to the restroom! ;) :D

17. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

You will learn to take her with you @Nik :)

Nik likes this.
  18. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I don't think that's a good idea as Nik will not have a toilet seat to sit on:risas3::risas3:

dianaT and Nik like this.
  19. Nik

Nik Regular Member Registered

Haha, that was hilarious guys!!! ;) cheers ... :D