1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cook In Bags ??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bikergirl Carol, Dec 4, 2017.

1. bikergirl Carol

bikergirl Carol Regular Member

I have just read about cook in bags emit fumes that are fatal to our burdies. Can anyone enlighten me. Is this true. ive never heard of it.

TomsMum likes this.
  2. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member Registered

Heating plastic has the possibility of leaching into the food, more so foods containing fat. In everyone's interests I wouldn't do it. Our exposure to plastic is high anyway if you believe the latest news on food from the sea, why increase it?

bikergirl Carol and Roz like this.
  3. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

I was going to do a post about this too, I'm in a Caique group on Facebook and they're always posting about oven bags! Very worrying.

4. Stinkie

Stinkie Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I remember @TomsMum mentioning using Lakeland wrap and roast rolls for oven cooking a while ago, so I presume these are safe?

5. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

6. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

This is a topic that has been doing the rounds on various American and other forums for quite a few years, and has had another pop up due to a Facebook post from someone claiming that they had a substuted item from their Walmart order of a whole frozen cook in bag turkey, and that half an hour into cooking it, 9 birds passed away. Very tragic. But like many commentators to this post one wonders if that was really the case, what temperature were they using?

In the US there has been a long-running campaign about “Reynolds Oven Bags” being dangerous - these are like the turkey roasting bags prevalent in our Supermarkets just now. Reynolds put out a statement saying that these did not contain any PTFE and were mostly aluminium, and referred people to the usage instructions concerning the recommended temperature range.

I have used roast in bags and cooked the chickens already in ovenable bag that Sainsbury’s, M&S and Waitrose all do....with the in the bag you use a lower temperature than with a roast tin and foil anyway, and a fan oven likewise. I also always put on the extractor fan which is over my hob, and if necessary Open the window a little to create an airflow.....doors from the kitchen are always kept shut when I am cooking - and my oven is kept clean and free of any burnt residues.

And during the last year I’ve been using this product as Stinkie mentioned
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/10668/Wrap-&-Roast-Roll-45cm-x-10m

I will contact them and ask if they can provide some information on the content of the wrap and post here when I find out more.

Caveat anything burning or over heating gives off fumes - so always use adequate ventilation.....

I can never get why people have birds in their kitchens.....especially when they are cooking and/or washing up....
    And I know of a Macaw owner who constantly let it drink straight from the kitchen sink tap, it passed away due to lead poisoning...

as we know the home can contain a number of hazards!

DizzyBlue, Stinkie and dianaT like this.
  7. RoyJess

RoyJess Regular Member Registered

I never have birds in our kitchen when I'm cooking.

All doors are shut, windows are open and extractor fan on.

However, it will be difficult for those with an open plan kitchens

Yellowchickenparrot and dianaT like this.
  8. bikergirl Carol

lots of stuff to think about. i sometimes use those Maggi bags that you put meat in with some seasoning, dont think ill use them anymore. its not worth the risk

9. TomsMum

I have contacted Lakeland and received and an acknowledgment that they have passed my enquiry to the products team.

DizzyBlue and bikergirl Carol like this.
  10. bikergirl Carol

it will be interesting to hear what they say

TomsMum likes this.
  11. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Have to say I never use them.

12. TomsMum

@bikergirl Carol I have contacted Nestle to ask them about the Maggi So Juicy bags

bikergirl Carol likes this.
  13. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

My mam buys pork already in a bag

I don't eat meat so usually there would be non but that is the only bag type thing she uses. Our kitchen is on a different floor to the birds

He let the bird drink water from the tap?... Are we not supposed to do that? Should I be buying bottled water??

jaspers mum likes this.
  14. DizzyBlue

Hmmm only thing I have had in a bag is this ......

IMG_3643.JPG

Yup in the kitchen, in a bag and already self de-feathered!!

15. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Mine have always had tap water, I let the tap run a while before filling their dishes.

jaspers mum likes this.
  16. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member Registered

Tap water is fine as long as the pipes to the house are not the old lead ones like ours was (circa 1930's). Then again it would be in your best interests also. I also run the tap like @dianaT to ensure there is no build up of chlorine in the water.

17. TomsMum

Yes tap water should be fine, ai have a filter on mine because it’s very hard water. As Plumsmum says, the issue I was trying to highlight was lead from old pipes......one of many household hazards...most pipework gets replaced over time...if you are in an old property worth checking out.

18. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

Our old property did not have any pipes in until 1997, so no worries there. We have a UV filter and a normal filter, no additives etc so everything OK. But, I live out of food in the bag (or carton or box), are we talking about these or other "cook in the bag" bags please?

19. DizzyBlue

@Kendra those new fangled things cook in the bag stuff where the bag goes into the oven

Kendra likes this.
  20. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

Thank you Dizzy, seems we are safe.