1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Companions For An Outside Aviary

Discussion in 'Parrot Chatter' started by David Tarry, Mar 16, 2019 at 7:05 PM.

1. David Tarry

David Tarry Registered

Hi
    I am thinking of an outside Aviary 10 * 8 ft * 6ft and wondered about some companion birds for an African Grey for when outside on nice days? Is that a feasible option or indeed worth exploring if so they would need to be outside all year round? The location that the aviary would go is an area with plenty of visual activity to keep the bird occupied whilst keeping a decent break distance to avoid worrying. My other concerns regarding an external aviary is seagulls and ferile cats which we have in the area, we are retired and there at all times and the bird would not be left outside if we were going out, we are also next to a beach and have a sea breeze most days.

David

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hello and welcome David. first of all I think of the Seagulls and the feral cats and recommend that you double wire the aviary, but I will let others come along and give there recommendations on that side. ok so you ask what's a good companion bird for an African grey, well I have a few grey's and I will say they tend to stick more by there selves so the best Grey to have is another grey. this may seem an obvious answer but I have quite a few species living in my home so then I can only tell you the observations and my experience. all my flock are excepted but that's as far as it goes apart from Poppy my female eclectus whom gets on well with my female greys and Jackie my green winged that all the greys respect. I have given a lot of thought to my answer and the only other birds that I think will get on in that type of situation would be the ringneck parakeets. I thought about Cockatiels and Budgies but greys tend to rule the roost over them. Kakariki's tend to make greys jump and they can get startled at the quickness of these birds. The ringneck uses its brains well in a mixed environment and also uses its ability to charm and snatch and of the aviary birds they can make quite a show in the Aviary whilst you grey is indoors. the only time I would have a concern for is during them breeding as they may get put off if the grey gets close to there nest. you can ask me about other flock members I have and how they get on with my five greys and I will try to give you my observations.

3. David Tarry

David Tarry Registered

Thanks for your comments and observations i assume that they are are all living indoors and would not like the English winters?

David

4. Michael Reynolds

Yes they all live indoors but ringnecks are the most adaptable members of the parrot family but there are many that have only known aviary life and are not birds that attack other birds, each of mine have made friends with other species Dobby has Charlie a Orange winged amazon, Joe Joe has Lucky a Blue crowned Conure, Pip has Alan a Orange winged amazon and Bella has Oliver a double yellow headed amazon. I also see regally Pringle He flew out of my place a few years ago and he lives near me in knowle park along with his new family. comes over my place and chats from the trees he calls "Charlie" and tells me "good boy Pringle" last chatted to him less than two weeks ago. although he is chipped and I miss his company at home I am also pleased that he has not forgot me and is free.

Nigalius likes this.
  5. Michael Reynolds

Ok I can break this down into there colours, my two green ringnecks get on with the mainly green orange winged amazons, My Yellow Ringneck gets on well with My Double yellow Headed Amazon and my blue Ringneck gets on best with my blue crowned Amazon. Now then thinking about my findings, would a grey ringneck get on with another grey bird, that's a good question, but it dose make me think that colours are important to a ringneck. now the only worry I have is that each of my ringnecks are male and the same with the partners they have chosen and Conker my female Orange wing never has been approached as a friend by a ringneck although also likes the male OW Charlie.

6. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi and welcome to the forum
    I have an outdoor flock and an indoor flock I also have feral cats that come here and can honestly say the cats are not a problem if anything they get bitten once and decide parrots and their high screeching calls are not for them! Feral cats hunt to survive they don't waste their time sitting watching aviary birds domestic cats one the other hand are a pain in the bum! The feral cats I have that come ensure there are no mice which is a good thing. My outdoor flock have a Perspex roof during the winter time and the aviary is double meshed as I do get a lot of raptors here from owls to kestrels and the sparrow hawk zipping through the seagulls are not an issue.
    KevH a member on here is like me and has a colony of feral cats living alongside his aviary he has greys and amazons outside and apart from the cats running across the top of his aviary which the birds are now used too he doesn't have problems with them either.
    My flock and Kev's flock are all outside 24/7 they have been gradually acclimatised to live outside having been house birds in the past, it's no that big an issue if done correctly and shelter if the desire takes them is provided. My lot have even been seen having baths in minus 9 … total loonies!!
    One of the major considerations should be does your bird like other birds for company? Not all hand rears do it would seem. But the thing is if your bird goes outside and loved the other birds company bringing him back in all the time would be an issue to him as he/she would be wishing to be with the flock.....
    Could have his own aviary to go outside and play in the sun alone ….. and if your thoughts are to have him live outside all the time eventually then he is going to need company so choose a bird of similar size and nature preferable one that is parent reared but has been humanised by the breeder …. provides a steadier natured bird.
    Most of my birds outside are parent reared and I have a few out there to steady the flock that are humanised means nobody is hurtling around scared silly when I go out and clean and feed.
    @KEV H

KEV H and TomsMum like this.
  7. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: from me too. All good advice given there.

8. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

9. KEV H

KEV H Regular Member

With my experience I'd get another grey for company all my greys were house birds so being outside all year round shouldn't be a problem as long as you get them out soon so they get acustimsed to the weather for rest of year. I cover the outside up during the colder months as long as you stop the drafts they should be ok last year we had -5 same this year but not as much and I've got 2 pluckers 1 with hardly any feathers so there pretty tough birds with right diet

DizzyBlue and TomsMum like this.