1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coconut

Discussion in 'Food And Diet' started by Yellowchickenparrot, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

I have just split a coconut open for my lad but he doesn't like it, can I give it to Luna?

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yes, but she may not like it either, none of my lot do! Wild birds can always eat it up.

3. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

4. bikergirl Carol

bikergirl Carol Regular Member

my budgies like a little bit but charlie wont touch it.

5. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

@Yellowchickenparrot Maybe try grating it rather than chopping it up? Mine won't eat it either way though!

6. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

My lot are only interested in the coconut shell and that just to pull the husking off it, most coconuts you buy at shops though are just the internal hard shell with the flesh inside.
    They don't like the coconut flesh nor the juice
    Not sure why they put coconut in to feeds as its not exactly a natural choice nor that inspiring nutrition wise either …. https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3106/2

7. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Kobe loves fresh coconut. Be sure to only give a little since it is saturated fat.

plumsmum likes this.
  8. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

Mine love coconut!

9. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Coconut has a mixed response from my lot, it seams to be a more regional taste Apart from Jackie none of my birds from the Americas or Africa's will touch it, yet most of the Australian birds will have a nibble and that includes budgies.

10. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

I think I may have mentioned this before, but coconut should be a good source of the oils that the macaw family need, if you can get them to eat any in the first place. Coconut is nutritionally and botanically very similar to the native palm fruit kernels that comprise a large part of the wild diet of many species (some are actually specialized feeders on these, such as the Lear's Macaw, which eats little else). Everyone seems to think that wild Macaws eat a lot of Brazil nuts, but these only grow over a small part of their natural range and would be difficult for the birds to handle, especially the smaller species, due to the size of the nuts and the large woody capsule they come in.

We recently got some virgin palm kernel oil, which is made from the seeds inside the better-known African oil palm fruit (the seed itself and the oil it contains are almost identical to the seeds of the South American fruits, which have been less studied and less commercially exploited). It's hardly distinguishible from coconut oil, besides lacking the characteristic coconut flavour, and has a very similar nutritional profile.

@DizzyBlue and @Roz - The key component of coconut oil in health terms (and of other palm seed oils, which are similarly high) is really Lauric acid, which is not differentiated from other fats in the table. It's a medium-chain fatty acid that is not found in many other natural sources at such high levels (interestingly, human breast milk is also particularly high in it, so it ought to be good for humans in moderation, at any rate).

In brief, it's been found to have quite potent anti-fungicidal and anti-microbial properties. It is often lumped in with the saturated fats (a definition so broad as to often mean little in practice, as the level of the fat's saturation is only one aspect of its role in complex biological processes), but although it raises overall cholesterol levels when consumed, what it does more specifically is to raise total HDL cholesterol (the one you want) in proportion to the dangerous LDL cholesterol when it's consumed; a rebalancing of "good" vs "bad" cholesterol levels which may have a net benefcial effect on cardiovascular health.

Coconut oil certainly seems to promote skin healing in general, including the healing of wounds, burns and rashes, and due to its antibacterial and antifungal properties, is quite effective against many types of bacterial and fungal skin infection when applied topically. (Its internal effects in these respects seem to be less studied.) There's also evidence that isolated Lauric acid is an effective treatment for acne https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2772209/ though the heaviness of the oil itself may cause problems when applied to acne-prone skin.

Obviously captive parrots should not be fed excessive amounts of fat, but I think it is worth bearing these potential benefits in mind and seeing how they may interface with the bird's needs, especially for species that consume significant quantities of nutritionally similar foods in nature (ie most macaw species).

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    DizzyBlue likes this.
  11. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Cheers Ararajuba )
    My lot won't eat it and Denarii goes as far as throwing her food out of her bowl if tis in there so I have to pick and bits out for her first lol
    Mind you none of my birds will touch palm fruit either :watchout:
    Perhaps they are just weirdo's as only two of them like sugar cane :thinking:
    But having said that Henni after all these years of living here and being offered things she turns her beak up all the time the week before last she actually ate a Nutriberry and weirder still she has started to eat things like the little buts of dried fruit that you find in some of the mixes. :confundio1: Long live the weirdness!