Cockatoos!

Nikki h

Mother Hen
Morning guys had a message in the night asking me to give my honest opinions on toos for pets.... Great to see people asking others before jumping in to take on one of these beauties...thought I'd share my reply to her as I think it's a good insight in to what you can expect from a too!! Lol xx

Hi....I have 5 rescue/ rehomed toos, all have baggage, all except one is male aggressive, two are alpha males one of which can only come out alone as he is like a canibal towards the other birds ...they all live in a bird room in my house not in my lounge as my husband and children would never be able to sit in the same room as them my husband having been attacked more times than I can remember..even the sight of him sets them off!

The noise can be at times horrendous, I would honestly suggest if you live in a flat or a semi you really might get complaints regarding the noise...a couple of mine like to create in the middle of the night now and again and when all is quiet it's fecking loud! Lol

Many toos have separation issues and can't cope with being alone after being that cuddled baby for along time, I have two that are wonderfully soft with me and two that are very independent one which only idolises my eldest son and will attack anyone viciously if in the same room as them yet is handleable if my son is not around!!

It does seem the bigger toos ..the umbrellas and the mollucans are more steady in their nature and more cuddly in my experience but bring a louder scream ...my Molly is the one that happily goes to everyone ... They don't give off warning signs like greys do, they very quick, not scared of anything, can be very intimidating, bite like a illegitimate offspring....but on the plus side they are wonderful creatures, some are very very loving, very affectionate and can be like babies....they are wonderful to watch and totally beautiful, for me there is something very magical about these birds however.....I don't believe they should be sold to the pet trade at all and be aware hun that many cockatoo species require cites paperwork to be sold, it is a legal requirement to protect endangered species .....hope that gives you my honest opinion on the wonderful birds.....xxxxx

divegirl

The Dave Slave!
You never fail to amaze me with your birds Nikki, you truley are a bird whisperer :)

Thank you for sharing so honestly :flowers:

dianaT

Staff member
Excellent, you cannot get a more honest and informative opinion  than that. :thumbsup:

Michael Reynolds

the experience you have had with these wonderful birds shows in your reply I love them but I would not want to own one until I know I can give the time that they need.  I do not mind looking after such a wonderful bird but I know it is only a short time and its owner will be back.  I would second what you say that they should not be sold as pets. I liked your reply has the person commented on what you wrote

Nikki h

Mother Hen
Yes she was very greatful for my honesty and is seeking lots of advice from too keepers before she makes her desision ...she wants to make sure she does the right thing by the bird ...so I think it helped lol x

Julie

The Mother Hobbit
Love it, honestly is always the best policy when it comes to parrots and Too's are not easy birds

Squabbie

I would love to keep a cockatoo but it's stories like this that make me realise it's just not feasible for me to have one. Maybe when (if) I retire in a few decades time...

Bradders

Parrot Power!
Oh yes! They look stunning and completely adorable but no way will I ever own one!

Margy

I'd have a house full of Too's if I could. I must be very lucky with mine. I love them to bits.

I wrote a long reply about how easy they are then thought, no....there are not that many people that can cope with Too's, so deleted it.

I'd be lost without mine...all 7 of them.

dianaT

Staff member
I think we were very lucky with our late LSC Henry many years ago, considering in those days he most likely was wild caught. :nono:    I do have a soft spot for toos although I know they are not for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnk

I love my too but she is hard work and only likes me in the family. She has to come out seperate from the others so I have to take her out on her own.

Top Bottom