Cockatoo and Conure Diet

Jazzy Bird

Registered
Hello to my parrot club friends! Gus and Jasmine are doing well. I’m slowly making progress with Gus being less nippy. I wish he was nicer!

I have been adding veggies to their diet. So far have tried Kale and Cucumber. Idk if they eat the former - hard to tell. The cucumber was ignored by Gus until I held it up for him. And even then, he just took a few bites. Jasmine ate a tad. They otherwise eat fruit daily - oranges, apples and pears are most common. They also like berriesbananas. We buy what’s on sale. I also feed them oatmeal. Do they eat it uncooked? They eat a seed mix as well. I give Gus the Conure a millet stick a couple times a week and Jasmine a tiny bit of peanut butter.

Any ideas on how to add more veggies into diet?

How much food should they eat daily? I’ve read that they shouldn’t have food in cage at all times but I’m not comfortable with doing that yet. How can I most easily weigh them?

Gus’ scissor beak is doing so well that it’s only been trimmed one time since April. I took him in October and she barely had to take any off. Said to come as needed. When I asked why it’s better she said that sometimes once it’s trimmed and kept up on, the birds can manage it on his own. I wonder if it has to do with him being here and maybe more active and what not?

November 4th was the one year death date of my mom. I miss her terribly and wish she was here to tell me about the birds.

plumsmum

Hi hun good news that Gus is being less nippy. I am going to link this section of the forum for you. https://theparrotclub.co.uk/community/index.php?forums/food-and-diet.18/

Birds are better to eat a bigger quantity of veggies, sprouts than fruit, nuts and seeds. Veggies like Butternut squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, kale would be good additions. I've tried mine with oats/porridge made with just water and none seem to like it. Most people with parrots seem to develop thier own feeding plan and I assume that is as a result of researching and finding what suits your birds and you. It is the same with birds as it is with us in "Feed the Rainbow". :)

Jazzy Bird

Registered
Hello there. Thanks for your reply, the advice and sharing the link. I’ll check it out. Yeah, I read that they need veggies and that’s why I’m trying to add more. I started with the fruit to get them less dependent on the seed, assuming they’d buy into fruit more than veggies. 🤣

plumsmum

I have found hun that there is usually a honeymoon period when a bird is in a new home and they have (in my case) accepted new and changed their old feeding habits. IMHO it gets hard er over time and takes longer when they have settled in to change things.

Jazzy Bird

Registered
Ahhh. Good to know. We have had them about a week shy of a year. Is that still honeymoon phase?

Kendra

Oscar, LSC, is good with both his veg and fruit, he does have a liking for sweet corn and peas though I have to open the pods if I want him to eat them all, corn anyway I serve it suits him. Just wish HE would stop 'nipping' if he gets the chance.

Top Bottom