1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cockatiel Eye Problem

Discussion in 'Health' started by Zoe220615, May 14, 2018.

1. Zoe220615

Zoe220615 Regular Member

hi everyone so i was paying jude some attention tonight when i noticed she has a red ring running round her eye looks quite sore im thinking conjunctivitis what can i do for her im going to book her in at the vets tomorrow but is there anything i can do tonight for her?

Attached Files:

2. Zoe220615

Zoe220615 Regular Member

Also shall i seperate her from jessie?

3. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

4. Zoe220615

Zoe220615 Regular Member

Ive given her a good check over seems fine other than her eye no sneezing no puss not ruffled up or anything ive watched her eat aswell im wondering if shes damaged it ive noticed she is going threw her first molt could this be something to do with it?

5. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

its not easy to bath the eye of a tiel but you can try to poor a little saline solution over it. do not try to get too close to the eye as tils will shake there head. I would not think it was a case of separating them as they have had so much time together even if it was catching it most likely is to late to stop spread. My thoughts are more on the damage side and by separating them it may cause stress but also if the bird is on its own it may start to scratch or fuss over the eye. yes I would see a vet as soon as I can

6. marley

marley Regular Member

Could be a scratch or a husk in the eye, I would not worry about separating her and see how it looks tomorrow, a visit to the vets may be called for if it persists. I would leave well alone if I were you tonight. Make sure you clean all your perches daily with HOT water while this is going on

Sorry just saw Michaels reply

plumsmum and TomsMum like this.
  7. Zoe220615

Zoe220615 Regular Member

Ill leave her be then shes asleep now anyway doesnt seem bothered by it atall and ill call a vet in the morning can you recommend the vet you did before please as its probably more local than the one in maidstone ive been to before with bitds

8. Zoe220615

Zoe220615 Regular Member

Thanks shes asleep now so ill leave her till the morning and have a look im more thinking its maybe a scratch as there is no puss or anything just dont look very nice looks abit like a droopy eyelid.

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  9. Michael Reynolds

Sorry my avian vet has just left the practice

10. Zoe220615

Zoe220615 Regular Member

Ok ill have to get over to trinity vets in maidstone which is going to be a nightmare i have 2 hosp apps with my daughter tomo plus school runs. Hope i can fit in a vets app somewhere to!

11. Michael Reynolds

yes I had to send a budgie and its carer over to Mark and the crew the other week one of my companion birds.

12. Zoe220615

Zoe220615 Regular Member

Hes being seen tomorrow at a place called sandhole vets as thats the nearest appointment i can get. Theres no change in his eye this morning so hoping that appointment will be ok.

TomsMum likes this.
  13. Zoe220615

Zoe220615 Regular Member

Judes been to the vets and has got eye drops to have and hope they work she was very good and kept wolf whistling at the dogs in there.

TomsMum and dianaT like this.
  14. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That's good hear, I hope the eye is soon better. Did they say what may have caused it.

15. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

She’s a very clever bird

Zoe220615 likes this.
  16. Zoe220615

Zoe220615 Regular Member

No i did ask they said didnt really look infected as there no puss or leaking listened to her chest and they said its all very clear that shes a good healthy weight and looks good other than her eye. there thinking maybe shes caught herself with a claw of something if not it could be the start of a growth.

17. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aww likely something scratched it I guess.

TomsMum likes this.
  18. Michael Reynolds

Did you see the Exotic Vet they have there?

19. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

@Zoe220615 I am sorry I missed this thread. I hope Judes Eye is on the mend. It is good it is not infected.
    I hope Macey got on ok at hospital xx

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  20. Zoe220615

Zoe220615 Regular Member

Saw a young girl they said was new she took a video of jude to show the avian vet her/his head flicking comstantly. And im going back again on monday to see him.