Cockatiel eggs

Martin Dean

Hello all, My cockatiel is laying at the moment, she is laying one a day (or every few days), what I need to know is do I leave the egg in the cage or take it out? Please help ASAP!!!

CaptainHowdy

Hello all, My cockatiel is laying at the moment, she is laying one a day (or every few days), what I need to know is do I leave the egg in the cage or take it out? Please help ASAP!!!
Is there a cock bird in the cage with her?
Is she laying in a nest box or elsewhere?

How old is she, and the cock bird if there is one?

Is she showing interest in the eggs and sitting them? How many eggs are there at current?

Are you providing an additional source of calcium to her?

Martin Dean

I am giving her calcium by cuttlefish, the male is there, I have been removing the eggs so only one, gunna order some calcium supplements but they won't get here till Tuesday from Scarletts Lastly she is sitting on the egg but the male isn't interested!!!

CaptainHowdy

I am giving her calcium by cuttlefish, the male is there, I have been removing the eggs so only one, gunna order some calcium supplements but they won't get here till Tuesday from Scarletts Lastly she is sitting on the egg but the male isn't interested!!!
How old is the pair?

If you keep removing the eggs she will keep laying to replace them and this is very dangerous for her. She could get egg bound. You can either replace with dummy eggs or you can addle the eggs by shaking them and returning them or boiling them and returning them. She will continue to sit the eggs until she realises they won't hatch.

Is there a nest box in the cage?

You can start reducing their day time hours, give them 8 hours of light a day and then cover them over to start bringing them out of condition. Rearrange the toys and perches in the cage daily. But dont remove the nest box if she is currently sitting eggs in there. Wait until she is no longer interested and then remove it.

Martin Dean

No the egg is on the floor as I have chippings on the tray, I've turned off the light now so I'll shake the egg tommorow!!!! I am gunna see if scarlet can get me a replacement grate for the cage as then hopefully that with the fact I never got them a nest box might discourage her from laying!!!! Lastly I've got some multivitamin powder and drops coming tommorow from Amazon :)

CaptainHowdy

No the egg is on the floor as I have chippings on the tray, I've turned off the light now so I'll shake the egg tommorow!!!! I am gunna see if scarlet can get me a replacement grate for the cage as then hopefully that with the fact I never got them a nest box might discourage her from laying!!!! Lastly I've got some multivitamin powder and drops coming tommorow from Amazon :)
Be careful with how much vitamins you are giving and I wouldn't advise mixing them. I'd stick with the calcium for now.

Top Bottom