1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closed Ring Identification????

Discussion in 'Parrot Breeders' started by Ian collins, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Ian collins

Ian collins Regular Member

hi all, I have a male affrican grey who I believe is 8 years old, I’m trying to find out some info from his closed ring on his leg but I’m coming up blank every time. So the question is dose anyone on here know what these mean,, it’s a closed ring and looks to have been black as it’s black inside and the info on the ring reads, number number letter letter letter that’s it.
    Any help will be most appreciated as I’m trying to get his paperwork sorted out. Thanks in advance. Ian..

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2017
  2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

3. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

I've edited the actual ring details you gave as you should keep them confidential.
    It looks like you have discovered part of the ring detail

The number would indicate the number of that particular bird hatched that year in the Breeders personal register, and the three letters the Breeders initials. The ring should have the year on it too, and the colour also ID the year.

4. Ian collins

Yes I did know about the letters and thought the number was the birds hatched, but there is no othe numbers that’s what I can’t understand, as for the colour of the ring they would be from the pcuk only I would have thought.

5. Ian collins

Ps thanks for the edit

TomsMum likes this.
  6. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Maybe it's a sexing ring they vet put on which will have his numbering system on.

Ian collins likes this.
  7. Ian collins

Hi sexting rings are split normally not closed.

8. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I know it is split on one of my Sennies,it was just a thought.

Ian collins likes this.
  9. Ian collins

Yes I know and thanks Diana. I have now got his dna certificate so this may help lots I hope.

dianaT likes this.