1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clipped Wings.

Discussion in 'Feathers And Grooming' started by Snowgal01, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Snowgal01

Snowgal01 Regular Member Registered

Hi all!

My Quaker Parrot Snowy came to me with clipped wings.

Can someone explain to me how I can help her when she is able to fly again?

Many thanks.

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Just give her time they will eventually grow if they were properly done, she will being to flutter around which she probably tries to do now (this is so sad) and in time will fly.

3. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Things should hopefully sort themselves out, and the feathers regrow as they are moulted out.

Young birds naturally stretch their wings and start to flap, and this helps strengthen the wings and the chest muscles.

I was hoping to link to Sally Blanchard’s website to give you a link to how to encourage this type of behaviour...but the website doesn’t seem to be loading at the moment.

Here’s another link I found which gives you an idea of what you can do to encourage this wing exercise, also helps getting the whole breathing system going... the parrot’s I mean!

https://www.windycityparrot.com/blog/2016/05/18/how-to-exercise-your-parrot/

4. Snowgal01

That’s a shame! I could use the exercise!

She flaps a lot and has sort of glided/flung herself from the top of her cage to the floor.

How long does moulting last? And how long after will she start trying to fly? She’s only 8 months old and is moulting now.

5. TomsMum

Well it sounds like she’s doing really well. Feathers usually moult in sequence, so that a bird is never in a no flight situation. So it’s difficult to say how long. It sounds like as soon as she’s got sufficient feathers to give her lift, then she’ll be on the wing.

6. Snowgal01

Not long then hopefully!

Thank you for replying!

TomsMum likes this.
  7. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Rubes my RB2 came with a bad clip but some 10 months later she took flight, around the room in a circle and landed on hubby. So just be patient, Imping was even mentioned re my girl but she has shed those awful feathers and strengthens her wings by in cage frantic flapping and cheeping, usually hanging onto the bars or a toy. wish you luck!

@TomsMum Sally only usually likes her info shared with prior approval so maybe why it wont work hun?

8. TomsMum

Sally has a new website
    Sallyblanchard.com and is in the process of uploading lots of info ..... the aerobics stuff isn’t there yet, but lots of info on different species, her articles on diet, pelllets, etc, etc