Clever Clogs #9

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
In a row of seven houses, each house has a different colour front door.

The grey door is between the white door and the red door.
There are two houses between the blue door and the white door.
The brown door is the last in the row.
The black door is next to the blue door.
The house between the black door and the white door has a green front door.
The first house in the row does not have a red front door.
What is the order of the front doors?

Tonifrax

Is this a riddle or a sly way of planning a burglary 🤔 :risas3:

Ararajuba

Does this street exist in like a dr seuss book or something? Its very colourful 😂
My guess is somewhere in Scandinavia, they like to paint their homes bright colours there, especially the wooden ones.

Probably not Britain, as someone would have the local council after them before too long, saying that their neighbours had been complaining about their unnecessarily gaudy doors lowering the tone of the area and depressing house prices. If that didn't work there would be complaints about noise, front walls projecting 1 cm too far into the street (some official would be out there measuring soon enough), recycling sorted incorrectly, preservation orders slapped on their potted plants - most would crack eventually, and repaint theirs beige, or white, or something close to whatever was the standard colour around there, just to avoid the hassle. Let's not even think about what the neighbours would come up with if the owner of the offending door had parrots...

Anyway, here is the answer, hidden away at the bottom of the original so that others may still have the pleasure of trying to solve this:

Blue Black Green White Grey Red Brown

Michael Reynolds

there can be two answers to this question, owing to the line "there is a grey door between the white door and the red door" as no matter how far apart the red door is to the white door the grey door will be between them and if the white door is the first door in the row then the other doors stay as the other answer then this is also correct..

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
It's one of the mensa general quiz questions there is only one answer to the quiz.

Ararajuba

there can be two answers to this question, owing to the line "there is a grey door between the white door and the red door" as no matter how far apart the red door is to the white door the grey door will be between them and if the white door is the first door in the row then the other doors stay as the other answer then this is also correct..
That configuration is not possible - the black door has to be next to the blue door!

Michael Reynolds

White, green, Black, Blue, Grey, Red, Brown, the black door is next to the blue, I did get the normal answer at first but thought about the question, the grey door is between but not have to be next to the white door

Michael Reynolds

MENSA do not always get there questions correct as in this case, they had miss interpreted the word between. now prove to me that the other answer is wrong that I gave

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
If it said one of the doors between the x and x doors, but it says it is the one between thereby no others.

Anyway was supposed to be light entertainment to occupy people's minds think I will just give it up

Zoe220615

If it said one of the doors between the x and x doors, but it says it is the one between thereby no others.

Anyway was supposed to be light entertainment to occupy people's minds think I will just give it up
I like them! Gets my little brain ticking over 😊

Michael Reynolds

it is light entertainment and I enjoy these questions, just because I question mensa and the one answer they gave is not your fault, my brain like to question things in a way that explores the answer and look for other possible solutions,

this is not having a moan in any personal way and in fact the opposite. its Mensa that I was questioning. ok you had slightly typed the question wrong but it can happen at any time, don't worry, do I get extra brownie points for getting the answers correct Ha Ha

Michael Reynolds

The grey door is the one between the white door and the red door. in the original question this will only give one answer

how I love the English language and how easy just by a few words it can make such a difference. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom