1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning The Cage

Discussion in 'Housing' started by benjaminannas, Oct 1, 2017.

1. benjaminannas

benjaminannas Regular Member Registered

Hi!

I wondered if I could get some advice!

I need to clean mollie cage, I can always get to the bottom draw and clean it without issue but I don’t know how to get to her perches to clean them!

I have had her out once which did end in a bit of biting but I’m very wary of putting my hand in her cage (especially as the perch that needs cleaning is right in the middle!!)

Any advice on what I could do to avoid being bitten???

Thank you!

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Best thing to do is to get her used to coming out of the cage, perhaps she could have a Stand or perch/old chair back to stand on.
    The perch that is in the middle, I am guessing there is one directly above it? In which case best to move that slightly away so it hopefully doesn't get so pooped on.
    Most parrots will bite even friendlier ones, if you try to clean a perch while they are in their cage.

3. benjaminannas

Thanks for this Diana!

I have a stand (A something tree?) she hasn't used it before, the thing was still in its packaging when we got her! I will start getting her used to it. I think where we went wrong before was inviting her onto the sofa where we were sat. Would you say putting it infront of the cage and opening the door would be a good way to get her used to it? Or should I start by trying to get her to step up and move her to it?

4. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Well either way really, it's trial and error. I expect it's called a Java Tree?

5. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Do you have a travel cage?
    It's always good to get your parrot used to going in their travel cage, so that if you need to get them to the vet, it isn't quite such a trauma. Also getting them used to it, means they don't directly associate it with a trip to the vet!
    If like my Charlie Conure the bird won't sit still on their play stand, then popping them in the travel cage with some foot toys, means they are safe and secure whilst you can then do a big clean on the cage.
    You can get the birds outside for some sunshine too in the travel cage, always put an extra link closure on the door for safety, or up to the bathroom for some steam or a shower.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Lisa7284 and dianaT like this.
  6. Lisa7284

Lisa7284 Regular Member

Travel cages are always useful. When Alfie is out of the cage he seems to think he always has to be on me. Trying to clean a cage with him crawling all over my back, shoulders and head is not easy so I pop him in his travel cage.

I open the door to his big cage, place his travel cage door on the opening and he steps right in. If Mollie won't go in her travel cage on her own you can always tempt her in with her favourite treat. I think Alfie associates his travel cage with going in the car or in the garden so he is always happy to get in his without any encouragement.

TomsMum likes this.
  7. benjaminannas

Thank you tomsmum and Lisa, Thats all great advice! I managed to clean the cage during bath time! We had a water fight and I made sure to soak the perches and then when she was content I ran a cloth through the cage to give it a spring clean. She didn't mind one bit!

When I clean the bottom of the cage, I can pull the draw straight out without any problems, she will happily sit on a perch and watch and not try to escape.

We did have a successful experience yesterday when she came out of her cage for 20 minutes, had a good clean and wondered back in of her own accord which helped quieten her down a lot.

Overall I think we are getting their! I will have to start getting mollie used to her travel cage (although this is just a large cat box at the moment?) because I think she will like going outside and spending some time in the garden. One day we will make her a space to play / fly in the back garden (just need a bigger garden first!)

TomsMum and dianaT like this.
  8. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Great progress well done both of you :thumbsup:

9. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

:applaudit:Great to see you have progressed but I will say the more you clean out the cage the better things become so you need some more practice....... you can always come around to mine and clean out over 50 cages I am sure only a couple of my flock may want to bite you. :risas3::risas3: