Chunk out of my ear

JessCheekyMia

My lot are going for @RoyJess at the moment too. Very much guarding me and won't let anyone or anything go near me.
So your not alone.

Not long ago my poor Mum just phoned up for a chat. Well Roy brought the phone in and as soon as I put it to my ear and said "Hello" he grabbed it and threw it across the room. I went to pick it up again and he grabbed it again and attacked the phone.

charliebirdie

Yes so do i fingers crossed but tbh i am not the right owner for him you have got to know what your doing to own an amazon they are not for the faint hearted and i do not trust him so with the proper training he should improve

Michael Reynolds

An amazon bite is not nice, Oliver caught me out not that long ago and yes he got my ear, his been super friendly since, I hope your ear soon get better and Charlie will become calmer soon

CaptainHowdy

Oh dear he is being a naughty little one at the moment!!

I hope your ear isn't causing you too much pain and heals quickly.

His mardy attitude will certainly fit well with Rocky when he starts. Hopefully he behaves himself for you for the rest of the lockdown and keeps his beak to himself.

charliebirdie

Oh dear he is being a naughty little one at the moment!!

I hope your ear isn't causing you too much pain and heals quickly.

His mardy attitude will certainly fit well with Rocky when he starts. Hopefully he behaves himself for you for the rest of the lockdown and keeps his beak to himself.
Is it because you have other birds that yours are not hormonal or is it because your birds are better behaved ?

charliebirdie

I wouldn't mind but my hair covers my ear so how he has managed to find it i don't know he probably just went to bite anything he could

Michael Reynolds

Having other birds around can lesson a bird and it hormonal aggression especially if you are close with the other birds you have, not just spending all the time on one member of my flock gives them less chance to get attached or frustrated with you. a bird that gets jealous can be just as bad but time can make it accept it new situation, they become a member of a flock and not just a one person bird.

CaptainHowdy

Is it because you have other birds that yours are not hormonal or is it because your birds are better behaved ?
My two owa are bonded to each other. I can handle them as needed and Rocky will do certain behaviours for treats, such as putting feet through the bars for me to hold and check, lifting wings and flapping them etc.

Kiki is bonded to me as he doesn't have a pal of his own yet. Hopefully Charlie and Kiki will bond when Charlie comes to live with me.

With mine they do become aggressive but as they have aviaries I have the option to stay clear of them when they are acting up. Having said that I have had Rocky go for my face before because Lex was behind me in the aviary and Rocky didn't like that. He was very sternly told off and redirected. A lot of it is monitoring their body language. Rocky happily tries it on with me when he's being mardy. He tried this morning by going for me when I went to do his food. So he was told to go to his perch out my way and didn't get his food till he moved for me. He knows he's doing the wrong thing but he is testing me, the moment he gets his way on the basic behaviours and routine we have the more he would start testing the boundaries. He is certainly no Angel and he is the only one of my parrots I do not allow Mike to go into the aviary with. I can avoid Rocky when he is mardy as I know his subtle body language and behaviours. Mike doesn't so would be attacked by him, doesn't help that Rocky hates men either. Mike can give him treats through the bars and can change food and water if Rocky is behaving. If not I have to step in. I'm like the stern parent whereas Mike is the more lenient one 😂😂

Unfortunately with Charlie having the entire room to himself he sees that as his territory and he just let's you use it. And when he doesn't want you there he knows that biting and flying at you gets him what he wants. He's like a naughty child throwing a tantrum.

It isn't easy and it does unfortunately take a lot of time and patience and understanding on both sides so you both know what you expect of each other and what is acceptable behaviour and what isn't. The moment you become nervous of them they can tell and they will play on it.

Hopefully this lockdown doesn't last much longer and you don't get anymore injuries or love bites from Charlie!

JessCheekyMia

@CaptainHowdy is it true that female Amazon's are less aggressive than males? My two are females and are both very cuddly and tame unless my hubby is around my owa then she goes for him.

CaptainHowdy

@CaptainHowdy is it true that female Amazon's are less aggressive than males? My two are females and are both very cuddly and tame unless my hubby is around my owa then she goes for him.
I don't have females so I'm not sure. I have heard they are more laid back than the males though.

Lex is male but he is really laid back and doesn't go for anyone. But he is also quite old in comparison to my others.

charliebirdie

Ooooh yes tell me about it i was chasing him round the room this morning trying to get him in the cage he just shouts NO and fans his tail at me i have put a barrier curtain up in front of me i am the one in the cage haaaa he had a fight with my water bottle this morning he is testing my patience atm i have to towel him to get him in the cage god knows how you are going to go on with the vet Amelia he will either eat him or submit n squeel

Top Bottom