1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing A Breed To Go With A Moustache Parakeet

Discussion in 'Parrot Breeders' started by Tonya, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Tonya

Tonya Regular Member Registered

Hello Guys
    We have a flighted Moustache Parakeet and we are thinking of getting another parrot. I wanted to ask your advice about which breed would go best with a Stachie. It would live in a separate cage. It absolutely must be a good candidate for head scratches and good with kids. I was thinking of a Galah because they seem to love people but I’m told they are above average destructive. Also considering a Pionus as they have a reputation for being good with kids. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.x

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Pionus are fantastic birds my moustache got on well with plumheads and superb parrots but you want a more cuddly bird good with children, Myers, Ringnecks, king parrots may also be worth looking at

Tonya likes this.
  3. Tonya

Thank you Micheal. Looking into Meyer’s parrots. My partner wants a Galah or African Grey but I thought I would do some research first. x

4. Michael Reynolds

the Myers are known for there calm and set back attitude not like its cousin the Senegal although they love cuddles senegals can become one person birds and are flighty and bite hard. the myers can become one person birds but they are not known for attacking others and love interaction with their humans, easy to train like the senegal but not great talkers, IMG_0963.JPG

Tonya likes this.
  5. Tonya

Awww they are both so lovely :budgie:You’ve got quite an impressive flock!

6. Michael Reynolds

I do not have them with me now as they are charity birds but yes they are both lovely, I love my senegals but I must say the Myers parrot has a far better calmer way in general although my senegal Niblet is just as nice and friendly and laid back. I love the jandaya but they can be very loud.

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe likes this.
  7. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

I'd say not a Galah or Rose breasted as they tend to often bond with their human and therefore are not bothered about other birds. I regulalry have two in the house, one mine and one a friends and they are not bothered about the conure or G2 in the house, just me. I would offer as a suggestion a Conure, Patagonian possibly, they are brave little boogers and quite sociable.

8. JackAndRob

JackAndRob Regular Member Registered

Senegals and Meyers are in the same genus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poicephalus) as Capes, Jardines and a few others. All of the Poicephalus birds are robust, muscular birds - like an African Grey.

Jardine Jessie is normally a quiet, gentle bird, but can get quite boisterous when she plays. She bites, but it is controlled and not painful. I read a piece on "bite inhibition" which was quite interesting

Jardines are said to enjoy the company of anyone in the house, even if they are bonded with a preferred human. This is what we find with Jessie. She will sit on my shoulder all day, if I'll let her, but she also enjoys being fussed by my wife, Yin.