Chooks are a bad lot!

Latest bad behaviour for this recent flock of rescue hens.... eating their own eggs! :crybaby2: They're already vampire cannibals who delight in ripping out each other's feathers to eat, then feasting of the blood of broken pin feathers. I'm just posting this as somewhere to vent my frustrations! I've already been through their diet which is great, they've got loads of space indoors and outdoors, 2 large dust bathing areas, and currently 4 foraging toys/treats on the go, and a football to play with! We were wondering why the eggs hadn't increased much after this winter, then caught them feasting! They've previously eaten them if they've been soft and burst when being laid, and we've not been there to clear it, but have never attacked a perfectly good egg with such gusto. This lot would be the reason for us never getting hens again after they've all gone!

dianaT

Staff member
Sorry to hear this we never had that problem with our rescue hens, I guess they are all mixed up in their heads from their previous treatment poor girls. Do you get the chance to remove the eggs as soon as they have been laid?

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Give them a load of dummy eggs in the nest box they'll get fed up of playing with plastic ones and likely not figure out which is the newly laid real one. Make sure the nesting area is dimly lite helps hide the real egg. Other thing is are they getting enough protein in their diet
We used to make them work for tasty stuff like hanging greens just at head height so that they had to jump stretch reach and look up to get stuff kept them busy by food motivation brussel sprout stalks are brilliant for entertainment distractions.

Sorry to hear this we never had that problem with our rescue hens, I guess they are all mixed up in their heads from their previous treatment poor girls. Do you get the chance to remove the eggs as soon as they have been laid?
We go in first thing and 'save' what we can. Then we only get chance again later in the day as we're both full time. Just have to keep fingers crossed.

Give them a load of dummy eggs in the nest box they'll get fed up of playing with plastic ones and likely not figure out which is the newly laid real one. Make sure the nesting area is dimly lite helps hide the real egg. Other thing is are they getting enough protein in their diet
We used to make them work for tasty stuff like hanging greens just at head height so that they had to jump stretch reach and look up to get stuff kept them busy by food motivation brussel sprout stalks are brilliant for entertainment distractions.
Ooh dummy eggs are a good idea, I never thought of that! 2 of their foraging toys are stuffed with greens and supplements and hung up. The other has mixed corn, mealworms, and mixed seeds in. :). Another one is a fruit pecking block.

Top Bottom