Chickens idea to keep them busy

Michael Reynolds

If you have Red mite you should be careful if you have your other birds out side at the moment Hopeful and I will say do not leave them on the ground until the mites have been cleared.

Hopeful

@Michael Reynolds
f you have Red mite you should be careful if you have your other birds out side at the moment
I don’t have any other birds at the moment, but thank you for the advice. The chickens have the whole back garden to themselves 😁 the dogs run in the orchard and we have a little oasis at the side of the house with decking and a mess free lawn which is where birdie will join us. I treat the chicken area as often as I think it needs dusting but I was a bit slow this year 🤦🏼‍♀️

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

That’s fabulous, I will make kebabs for my ladies now!
Currently waging war against the dreaded red mite again! ( knee deep in diatomaceous earth!)
unlike many people here we appear to be red mite free and have been for a few years now. We use Diatom very liberally - in all the cracks in the henhouse, its flooring and also where they dustbathe. We did used to get something called Poultry Shield and then on a hot sunny day the henhouse would be sprayed, dried and re built. We were lucky then to have a winter henhouse and a summer one so could swap between the two as the seasons changed.

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

@Wendy Cooper-Wolfe i mix the earth with water and use it as a spray on the ground as well as the powder in the hen house, but we get them every year!
I dust the ladies too, much to their disgust 😂
The things we do for our girls! Had to give one a bath recently (messy bum) and as we are on view to passing traffic i know that people in the village will be adding "washing their chickens" to the list of weird things we do😁

CaptainHowdy

The things we do for our girls! Had to give one a bath recently (messy bum) and as we are on view to passing traffic i know that people in the village will be adding "washing their chickens" to the list of weird things we do😁
I had to bathe one of my cockerals feet a couple of months back when we had all that horrible weather. He's a booted bantam and refused to stop playing in the mud! He got bathed in the kitchen sink, I can only imagine what my neighbours thought if they saw me carrying him into the house telling him he was going to have a spa day 😂😂😂😂

Top Bottom