1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cedric

Discussion in 'Non Parrot Media' started by dianaT, Sep 6, 2017.

1. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Boris's brother has appeared!

Cedric2.jpg

DizzyBlue and Bob like this.
  2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

3. Bob

Bob Bird Whisperer Staff Member Admin

Handsome chap :)

4. dianaT

Lol! this afternoon I went to catch him in the spider catcher tube thingy to put him in the woodshed, but his legs were too long to fit in and he ran up the side of the tube towards my arm, I almost passed out, dropped the tube, he ran & hide behind the sideboard so there he can stay for now.

Clinton and DizzyBlue like this.
  5. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Peek-a-boo Cedric :yikes:

6. dianaT

:risas3: he's definitely lurking somewhere. The parrots kept an eye on him all morning.

7. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

When spiders hide behind sideboards it usually means they have found a mate and want to reproduce. LOL

8. dianaT

Thanks Nigel!!

9. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

Boris and Cedric's long lost cousin was here the other week
    Dread this time of year when they're all looking for mates

Don't know how you can just leave him behind the sideboard, I wouldn't sleep till it was out the house!

10. dianaT

He will probably climb up the wall again overnight or tomorrow so will get a large tumbler next time - or at least hubby will!

TomsMum likes this.
  11. Roz

Roz Elected Forum Trainer Regular Member

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!! :yikes:

DizzyBlue and TomsMum like this.
  12. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

that's a good idea to put him in the woods ........................................................ he can then show all his mates how he got into your home.........................................I wonder if the spiders will put there party photos on the web?

dianaT likes this.
  13. dianaT

He's back!!!!!:yikes:

DizzyBlue likes this.
  14. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Just thought you may like further information on your new family member Diana. Found this on the UK Safari website. http://www.uksafari.com/housespiders.htm Look at the stated length of the legs!!! [​IMG]

Scientific name:Eratigena atrica formerly Tegenaria atrica / Tegenaria gigantea
    Size: Body and head 10mm to 14mm. Legs 50 to 60mm
    Distribution: Found throughout the UK
    Months seen: All year round
    Habitat: Houses (especially attic spaces), sheds, garages and other out buildings
    Food: Small insects which are caught in a sheet web. House spiders can survive for several months without food or water
    Special features: The Giant House Spider is one of several similar looking species which inhabit houses and outbuildings - hence the common name house spiders.
    They make a thick sheet web, about 15cm across, usually in a neglected corner of a house or shed. The web has a tubular retreat at the rear where the spider sits and waits for dinner to drop by.

They become more noticeable in autumn, which is their mating season. The males are often seen scuttling across a room or falling into bath tubs as they move around in search of a female. The males have longer legs than the females, while the females have broader abdomens than the males.

The 'Aggressive House Spider' (Eratigena agrestis formerly Tegenaria agrestis), which has been made famous by a thousand Internet horror stories, belongs to the same Genus of spiders. Agrestis is rarely seen in houses, preferring sheds, garages, and log piles. In the United States, where it's known as the 'Hobo Spider', it has a reputation for biting humans with very little provocation. The ones found in Europe are quite timid in comparison, preferring to run for cover.

dianaT likes this.
  15. dianaT

:yikes: Thanks for that, he's disappeared yet again :watchout:

DizzyBlue likes this.
  16. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member Registered

Omg I wish I took pictures of the spiders I found when moving my slabs outside, Im not scared of them at all but even I was surprised how massive some of them were.

DizzyBlue and dianaT like this.
  17. Clinton

Clinton Regular Member

LOL i can only imagine the Colourful Language that followed
    your braver than me it would have been dead in this house

18. DizzyBlue

There's a really old saying ..... if you want to live and thrive let the spider run alive.
    They do us far more good than harm :) ok so some of them seriously need to think about using immac or shaving their legs more but hey nobody's perfect!

dianaT likes this.
  19. dianaT

Well yes I never kill them only wanted to put him in the old buildings where he could get on with his life,he has other ideas, seems to prefer life behind the sideboard!

DizzyBlue likes this.
  20. DizzyBlue

Only worry when you see the sideboard start to move around the room :risas3:

TomsMum and dianaT like this.