Can you..... Lol !

dianaT

Staff member
Lol !

Those over a certain age will know what the song is.
(Now you all go very quiet not wanting to say what it is):lol:

Ararajuba

Well, I'm not that old (am I?) and I got it in about a second! We sung it in my first primary school around this time of year. I even got to be A Donkey (not that specific one, apparently I wasn't important enough, or maybe my parents didn't belong to the right local cliques) in the Nativity Play when I was about 6. Do UK schools even still do those any more?

Ararajuba

Just looked it up and found it was originally a popular song in the late 50s. I am indeed not that old! I must say that I had always vaguely assumed it to be a traditional carol. Should have realized it wasn't though, the language, verse structure, and sentiments are all wrong for a song from before the mid 20th century or so.

Michael Reynolds

yes I have it on a record, cant remember if it was a hit by the spring fields or the seekers, Jim Reeves did sing it on one of his Christmas albums. never found it on a 78rpm record. never sung it in school.

Ararajuba

Some of the people who attempt to transcribe lyrics on the internet should have their access taken off them. When I searched for the lyrics to see whether I'd remembered them correctly the first result included this:

Ring out those bells tonight
Bethlehem, Bethlehem
Gollow that start tonight
Bethlehem, Bethlehem

I don't understand how that was even possible! Since when is "Gollow" a word?! :confundio1:

Top Bottom