1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cage Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Home and Environmental Hazards' started by Scarf, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Scarf

Scarf Regular Member

Hello all
    Please bear with me on a little background.
    So I've been rather absent for a while, largely due to increasingly long working hours, but I've decided to take a job offer that will mean better hours, yay! However, this means Garpy, who has become used to having me work from home for large parts of the day several days a week, will now be at home alone 9-5 most days.
    This is new for me - I'm normally around her a lot.
    At the same time, OTL and I have realised that if Garpy comes home from the hospital safely after this kidney infection, we must begin preparing ourselves to let her go. We don't know when it will be, but she has been very healthy and strong for the past year or so and we are blessed in that, but the reality is she is turning 16 this year and that is a good age even for a healthy Rosella - and she has fatty liver disease and organ damage from the salmonella. So maybe it will be two months, maybe it will be two years, maybe I am wrong and we will be very lucky and it will be longer, but I don't want to take a chance, and I want to make sure that if this is her last while on earth as a parrot, it is the best time a parrot has ever seen.
    So: with all that in mind, I'd like to build her a new habitat that will both ease the transition to having me around less, and make her life super fun while she's in her cage. Especially if there are times when she's a bit tired or doesn't want to come out so much, which has been happening a bit more.
    Any suggestions re: size, materials, entertainment?
    Up to now her cage has been standard 60cm wide or so, with a few toys, about a metre high. Nothing fancy, since she's out a lot.
    I want her to have lots of room to move until I get home, but still be able to move the cage from room to room, so prioritising a shape that maximises flying space while maintaining mobility will be best.
    How much room is needed for a bird to fly a little?
    Is width then more important than height?
    Is playing music all day bad?
    Disclaimer: in 15 years I've yet to find a toy she likes. She prefers destroying my stuff

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  2. Scarf

Scarf Regular Member

(So if anyone can think of entertainment that goes beyond toys that'll be great. I buy them but she mostly ignores them)

3. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

it is getting to the point that age is affecting Garp I was lucky in a way that my Peter reached his twenty before flying out my door and I have to think of if he managed to live much longer but at least I did not have to see him get ill or go down hill as that would be hard to watch. well toys must be something like a few cook books to chew, the golden mantled just love chewing paper and especially books. peter was never caged since his partner was killed by rats the same night I lost my Beryl so its difficult to say what size cage and I would think that changing the cage now may not be a great idea as peter fills more secure there. is there a way you can build a home for her around the cage to keep her safe? a bit like an indoor aviary?

4. Scarf

Scarf Regular Member

That is a super idea Michael, thank you. I have been looking at indoor aviaries. Maybe that's the best idea. And I love the book idea!
    I like to believe your Peter had a good life and an easy crossing when the time came. I'm sure he and Beryl and the others are having a fine time together again.

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  5. Michael Reynolds

thank you well peter broke all the rules in flying he was able to hover and fly backwards a feat that should be impossible except for the humming birds. I am certain he was double jointed in his wings. well I never know he may of been found and one day as he is chipped he may be returned as he new how to survive out side but I am in a way pleased he flew off if he was going to pass away at least he did it in freedom. he was missing his partner I know and I am sure he would of been looking for a new mate. Garp as you know I have followed all the ups and downs in his life from the time I had joined and was introduced to yourself and Garp. you have been brilliant and I am sure Garp is missing you at the moment. I do hope that garp will get better and live longer

6. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

I think the cage within the indoor Aviary sounds like a great plan! Of course being Garp there must be some socks to kill surely?

I know you said she not really into toys, but if she likes books, well she may like some shredding toys or even very softwood like balsa?

You can have a look for ideas on Karen and Darran’s Site http://www.naturalbirdco.co.uk/
    And if there’s something particular that takes your eye, I can always get it and send over to you xx

Scarf and Michael Reynolds like this.
  7. Michael Reynolds

@TomsMum most countries may have restrictions on woods being imported so it may be best for Scarf to find out if the toys are allowed first

Scarf likes this.