Cage modification?

PinkV

Registered
I'm not sure if this is even something to worry about but better safe than sorry right?

Our GCC nearly always throws food around, which isn't a problem of itself, but he doesn't have anything at the bottom keeping him from eating old food. I clean his cage every 3 or 4 days, but I'm paranoid about him eating the old fruit and veg at the bottom of his cage, but have no idea what I could put down there to let the poop and food through but not him :(

Anyone else had this problem? He just keeps eating the old food, even if there's new fresh food in the bowl!

Picture of his cage included here ♥ Cage

dianaT

Staff member
What type of floor does the cage have? mine has a tray with a grill on top, I cover the grill with layers of clean newspaper then each day sometimes more than once I remove the top layer, it so so easy to do and keeps things clean.

Scott199

our old cage had a grill, but to be honest I covered it in paper as the girl was just a pain to clean, then change the paper daily or as it gets soiled, same as above I put 2/3 layers on and just lift the top layer when its dirty.

his new cage doesn't have a grill, so paper, change that daily and still the hoover in most days to pick up the bits and bobs.

I have spoke to Rosemead and they would make a grill for me for not that much, but we've come to an understanding now, he does as he's told and I don't have to tell him off,,,,,,,,,,lol in my dreams :)

plumsmum

Agree with Roz hun and really the cage and perches should be cleaned every day. You are more likely to notice things like dangerous toys etc when giving the cage a clean round and a poop check to see all is OK. I use night cages which makes it easy to clean the day cages and make adjustments to toys and perches.

Top Bottom