Cage Advice Please

Rio73

Registered
So I'm looking for a cage for my macaw. Can you advise on a suitable size please
I've found this but not sure if it's suitable for him. Ideally I'd like one with a play stand on top but money bit tight atm so looking secondhand. All the ones I'm finding are way out of distance or not suitable for him.
This is what I've found which is close sadly no stand on top like
Screenshot_20190906_134416_com.facebook.katana.jpg

dianaT

Staff member
It is difficult to really judge the size from a photo but it probably do for now but I would think you need a larger one when you can afford it. And see how he gets on with that one in the meantime.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
We have a bar spacing thread https://theparrotclub.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/bar-spacing.2046/
We also have a full fact sheet for species with this information in it posted by member Grey https://theparrotclub.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/parrot-fact-sheet.7299/ which gives the body length of the birds (so you don't get bendy tails as well as providing a mountain of other information
The reason we didn't put up a minimum width cage sizing is because after discussing it, it was decided the vast majority of people will go for the minimum width they can do rather than go for as big as they possibly can, the oOOooo that will just squeeze in that corner kind of thought. The width has to also add in things like toys etc on top of the wing span as things like bowls and toys etc reduces the space available for a bird plus where the perches go etc... So the calculation would have to be bird species of body plus wing span to flap IF the bird sits central to the cage which usually they don't plus head room plus a lot more for toys to dangle down etc which reduces head room pushing everything further down inside the cage including bird and that takes you also into door sizes which have to be more than big enough in case of bumping wings that have a habit of flapping at the most inappropriate point when they are coming in and out of the age .... which isn't really all calculable. :BangHead: Minimum would have to be minimum plus a couple of foot either side plus at least a couple top and bottom :thinking:

Roz

So I'm looking for a cage for my macaw. Can you advise on a suitable size please
I've found this but not sure if it's suitable for him. Ideally I'd like one with a play stand on top but money bit tight atm so looking secondhand. All the ones I'm finding are way out of distance or not suitable for him.
This is what I've found which is close sadly no stand on top like
View attachment 28251
Sorry but that is WAY too small for a Macaw! I wouldn't even put an Amazon in that cage.

Kendra

Do not know what to suggest, 2nd hand ones tend to be rusty which would not be healthy. Best I think if you hang on and see what comes on the market, you need to keep your eyes out for Montana and Rainforest.

Top Bottom