1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying A Parrot

Discussion in 'Parrot Chatter' started by Juliet Taylor, May 4, 2018.

1. Juliet Taylor

Juliet Taylor Regular Member

So, now mid throws of trying to find a new feathered friend. Can't believe it's not even a week since we lost our beloved Charlie. Just wondering if I rehome how to go about it? Charlie was lovely in so many ways but did a basic diet kill him? He was with his previous owner for 14 years me for 6 months and so hard to try and change dietary habits. He was so partial to a digestive biscuit dipped in tea! Not good. I have found one online- a female same as Charlie breed who is 4 years old. They are asking £600. That is what I paid for Charlie. Feeling slightly nervous about risking this again. I also have option of talking to breeder who has some young parrots. Not sure I have enough experience to tame a parrot. Would have loved to have taken on Charliebird but he needs a real pro to help him. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks in advance

2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

I would say that is quite a high price...we paid £500 for Chiko direct from his breeder at 4 months old.

Having had both a baby parrot and a one year old rehome...I think it’s easier with a youngster, but the skills and patience you need are just the same in both instances.... let’s just like whether you buy a new of a second hand car...you still have to drive and maintain it, just that you know that the brand new one doesn’t have any hidden history.

Ammies need a lower fat diet than other species, and a god source of beta-carotene.... the Pre-cursor to Vitamin A, so lots of things like caroots, sweet potato, butternut squash, red peeper and chilli, broccoli, cantaloupe melon, mango.
    As you stated Pet shop black sunflower based mix, digestives and tea and not the way :)

I’m we can support you whatever path you decide to take. Have a look in our training section, there are some great pinned topic posts by Roz on some basics there.

Find out what disease testing and health check have been done on the bird. Especially with a rehome, I would get full blood testing down by the avain Vet as that should help,highlight any potential issues that you can counter through diet.

If you are thinking of getting an Ammie I would recommend you get Sally Blanchrd’s Companion Amazons book, via her website or Etsy shop......you can get and electronic copy, and it covers all aspects of Ammie Care and behaviour...she does them for other species too.

We’re here to help...so just ask away!

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    JessCheekyMia likes this.
  3. Juliet Taylor

Thank you so much. I'm trying not to rush into anything but so hard when there is such an obvious gap in our lives now without Charlie

4. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

To me you seem a very caring person and any parrot that comes to live with you will be very lucky. It is entirely up to you whether you choose a baby or rehomed, rescue. I have both one as a baby and another one a rehomed. A baby you know you can bring him or her up with the best diet from day one, training may be easier and introducing to a young family will be easier too. With a rehomed, you will need a lot of patients and a lot of training will be involved and of course you don't know what diet they really have had. But mine all took to fruit and veg easily. Just keep putting fruit and veg into a bowl in their cage even if they don't touch it, one day they may take a nibble and think "I like this" lol.
    But also a baby will need training too.
    You need to go for what is best for you and your family. I will support you either way. Unfortunately even a baby could have health issues, it is just one of those thing's. Whatever path you take there is no guarantees. I would go and view the parrots, and see how you feel. Don't make any rash decisions, take a step back after viewing them have a think and discuss with your family. X

5. Juliet Taylor

Thank you x good advice. The babies on offer don't look like Charlie (or my parrot that I grew up with.) Maybe best to wait and see if any baby Charlie's come up?? The female parrot on offer lives miles away and owner can barely speak English so hard to get proper info. Reluctant to pay £600 again if it's a gamble. Going off for a weekend break to try and take a break. Will keep you posted x

JessCheekyMia likes this.
  6. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

That's great, the right one will come along. I think you need this weekend break. XX