Building trust, reducing the threat 🦜

Andib479

Registered
Taming advice needed.

Jasper has been with me for 5 weeks. He's approx 5 months old. He has a lovely cage and I've learned his likes/dislikes with food, and i am slowly getting there with toys. He loves mirrors and shredding items. His fountain bird bath arrives tomorrow, which will be exciting to see if he likes and uses it. My issue is, when I let him out of his cage he flies around our large room, and initially he placed himself back in the cage and I would close the door. Now when I approach to close the door he flies out of it. This has been an ongoing issue, so I've now decided to permanently leave the cage open in the hope I can gain his trust. In the last 3 days since doing this, he is more vocal, but whilst I can walk under him, if I lift my hand near him, he flies off. Today I've put corn on the cob on a tray 3/4 of a meter near me in the hope he will eat closer to me and not see me as a threat. He wouldnt take food off me through the cage. He loves perching on the TV to watch other Ringnecks on YouTube and squarks really loud to them. Any tips with taming appreciated. ;)

Attachments

RoyJess

It takes time to build up trust.

You could tie a string to the door and run it in a way that when the bird goes back into the cage, that you can pull the string from the other side of the room which will then close the door. Just be careful that you don't suddenly trap the bird in the door.

Usually when I put the birds away, I do a false put away and don't close the door, or if I do close the door, I immediately open the door again and let the bird out. This way, the bird don't associate going away means being shut away. I would put our birds away and immediately let the birds out a few times before I finally shut the bird away for the night.

Feathered Janique

Registered
I wrote a document on taming process and steps. I am planning on having a website in the future, so I just write on topics. (please do not copy as I worked very hard on this)

Taming takes consistency, patience, and gentleness. If you don’t have these three, consider learning it because you will need them.
When you first get a bird, simply talk to it for a few days, and make sure he’s comfortable in the new setting. After that, you can move on to the following steps. If your bird will step up onto your hand move onto the next set of steps.

Do this every day for a week:

1.Uncover your bird’s cage, and gently say good morning, and praise it for being so beautiful, having a nice song ect.ect. This will show you appreciate the bird.

2.Pull out your work like homework, office work, or any work you can focus on calmly silently, and sit very close to the bird as you do it. This will show you are not a threat.

2.From outside the cage give your bird some millet. This is like bribing the bird to like you.

3. Pull up a chair and either talk to the birdie, or sing to it, birds just love a good jam. This is showing that you can be fun.

4.Put your birdies to bed, but before you cover, their cage give them some millet, try doing it inside the cage. Notice of your bird looks nervous, if it does, then just give your birdie millet outside the cage. This is so that bird has something to look forward to with you since it is right before bedtime. This also is always giving your bird a chance every day to interact with you.

After the week has gone by, move on to this set of instructions and follow these for two weeks.

1.Uncover the cage and praise the bird, but after you do so, put some millet on something that can reach a little further, such as a clip, or a clothespin. Let the bird eat of it. (everyday try to move your hand up the clip until you are the one grabbing hold of the millet) Your bird should be stepping up by now, but the clip on the millet is for a bird still afraid.

2.Pull out your work like homework, office work, or any work you can focus on calmly silently and sit very close to the bird to do it. This will show you are not a threat.

3.Put some seed on your hand, so the bird has to eat close to your hand and may step-up for a better reach.

4.Once your bird is comfortable enough with you do this step. Let you bird out of its cage in a small enclosed room with curtains closed, no mirror and nothing hot. This setting will help the bird eventually come back to it’s cage easily, and not crash into windows or mirrors. Make sure it’s only you in there, being silent and still since your bird might become spooked easily. If your bird comes close to you, slowly stretch out your hand and offer seed.

4. Put your bird on the cage and train it to ‘step up’. Take brief sessions of training so your bird does not become stressed. If your bird is stressed, then try putting it into it’s cage and step away so your bird gets’s relaxed.

5.Put on some music for your birdie, hum-along and hopefully your bird will chirp along, try different music to see what you bird likes best.

6.Put your bird to bed, and give it some seed.

So now your bird should step-up, not be afraid of you and in some cases even already in the two weeks ready to move on to the set of steps. These steps are huge and you will need to make sure to stop what you are doing if your bird is showing stress. Follow these steps until you and your bird are best friends.

1.As always, praise your bird when you uncover it’s cage.

2.Pull out your work like homework, office work, or any work you can focus on calmly silently and sit very close to the bird to do it.

3.Take your bird out and teach it trust tricks, which are tricks to help your bird trust you such as shaping your hand like a tunnel and showing your bird to enter it.

4.Introduce your bird to your shoulder, your head your legs, showing it to perch wherever it wants on you so that in the future it will interact with you alot.

5.Show it peekaboo.

6.Simply sit down and let it eat from your hand.

7.Introduce your bird to your house as much as it let’s you, so it will interact with you in other parts of the house other than just near it’s cage.

8.Try showing your bird new items, so it will be comfortable exploring new stuff with you and be eager to do new stuff.

9.Make sure you are having fun!

So after after about 5 weeks your bird should be fully tame and best buddies with you.
Here are some things you should know:
*Smaller birds will take longer to tame than bigger birds, so don’t worry if your little one seems to be behind.
*FULL PERSONALITY WILL POP EVENTUALLY, HE WILL BE A DIFFERENT BIRD THAN YOU FIRST GOT HIM
*Feed small increments of seed, since you don’t want your bird to eat too much. If your bird has a good diet it will be easier to tame.
*remember the gentle voice soothes the rabid beast
* Adopted birds may have complications if had harsh past with previous owners.
*Try not to move ahead steps, unless you know it is totally okay, moving to fast with your bird may actually backtrack the taming process.

I also feel the need to advise you that mirrors cause birds to be aggressive. They think it's another bird in the mirror and their mind becomes angry and confused. Hope you enjoy spending time with your birdie, those little guys are amazing

Top Bottom