Budgie related: which food is good for budgie

Bigpapa

Hi all
I would like to know which type of food is best for budgie or which budgie food to buy

Something that has plenty of vitamins, helps the bird to grow healthy have good feathers and the colours of the feathers to be vibrant
Basically to be at optimum health

My dad only feeds his budgies millets on the stick /stem
I guess it's cheap and cheerful !

My budgie is staying in my bedroom and hopefully will have alot of access to free flying in my room

I want to feed my budgie premium good quality food and don't have to worry about to much fat in it etc

Most importantly want him to always stay healthy and for his colours and feathers to always look top notch.

And for treats .. what do you recommend to give and how often

1 of my dad's old budgie who recently died he loved lettuce, as soon as he would see green in your hand he would go crazy , let me out ,let me out he would jump about and just eat a whole price of lettuce and would not share it

Thanks guys

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
My budgies have a budgie specific seed mix which has lots of different types of millet in it plus they get access daily to fresh fruit and veggies and I go out and get them dandelions (during the summer), a plant called shepherds purse and chickweed. they get access to different types of grass with seeds on it that I hang up in bunches …. what else … oh yeah they like to have a go at fresh willow leaf on the stalk and apple leaf on twigs.
They have iodine blocks as budgies suffer really badly from iodine deficiency they cost about 50p from the pet shop and last for ever! They also have access to cuttlefish.

The seed I use for the budgies is Johnston and Jeff Expert Budgie I think its called.

CaptainHowdy

I use bucktons budgie tonic for mine.

I like to sprout it for them as well.

They get various fresh veg. Fruit is given as a treat. I always givr them millet sprays.

As mention iodine block and cuttlefish is available at all times. I also offer clay blocks.

I keep guardian Angel and add it to their water to give them a boost during moulting.

Bigpapa

My budgies have a budgie specific seed mix which has lots of different types of millet in it plus they get access daily to fresh fruit and veggies and I go out and get them dandelions (during the summer), a plant called shepherds purse and chickweed. they get access to different types of grass with seeds on it that I hang up in bunches …. what else … oh yeah they like to have a go at fresh willow leaf on the stalk and apple leaf on twigs.
They have iodine blocks as budgies suffer really badly from iodine deficiency they cost about 50p from the pet shop and last for ever! They also have access to cuttlefish.

The seed I use for the budgies is Johnston and Jeff Expert Budgie I think its called.
I've placed an order for this food
Seems local pet stores and pets 4 u don't stock this particular one

This seems to have alot of good reviews
The other food the person mentioned a few shop sites said it's for using sparringley so I didn't look at it

But thanks guys

Bigpapa

Good your sorted with the seed but don't forget to feed the other things mentioned fruit and veggies, iodine block and cuttle fish are all important too
What fruit and veg do budgie prefer ?
How often would you feed fruit and veg ?

My dad's budgie loved lettuce but got told not to give it every day , just once a week!

Cuttle fish is ordered, iodine block I'll have to by from pets 4 u
The place I ordered the budgie food didn't seem to sell iodine blocks they had something else which as per description seemed to do the same thing but there was no mention of the word iodine so I didn't bother
There's was white
And from all the iodine pics I've seen , it's pink
Any particular one I should get ?? Or all iodine blocks the same ?

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
theirs was probably a termed a mineral block all iodine blocks the same and should cost around 50p you only need one for your bird (and one for your dads budgies too!) it'll last for flipping ever they nibble when they need.
each birdie has their own favourites when it comes to fruit and veggies so its a case of trying stuff out until you hit the spot for favourites but remember too much of a good thing is just as bad as too little and just because they don't try it the first time is no reason to not keep offering things.
My lot do so love things like curly kale, broccoli (plant of the devil!! I hate that stuff but buy and feed it to my flock as its good for them and they love it)
Here's the lists of parrot safe foods

This is the list of things to NOT feed

Bigpapa

theirs was probably a termed a mineral block all iodine blocks the same and should cost around 50p you only need one for your bird (and one for your dads budgies too!) it'll last for flipping ever they nibble when they need.
each birdie has their own favourites when it comes to fruit and veggies so its a case of trying stuff out until you hit the spot for favourites but remember too much of a good thing is just as bad as too little and just because they don't try it the first time is no reason to not keep offering things.
My lot do so love things like curly kale, broccoli (plant of the devil!! I hate that stuff but buy and feed it to my flock as its good for them and they love it)
Here's the lists of parrot safe foods

This is the list of things to NOT feed
Thank you for this
It's a great help.

I did see a list of food for parrots in the forum but it said parrot so didn't think it applied to budgies.

Michael Reynolds

Budgies are the stars of the parrot world. mine love fresh grass stems with the seed on them and dandelion leaves but only pick it from places that have not been contaminated buy cars or pester sides.

Top Bottom