budgie breathing difficulty

bigfellasdad

Registered
Hi there, im looking after my sons parrot whilst he is away camping. Little sunny is an old but adorable little budgie, but ive noticed she appears to have breathing difficulties and her tail is bobbing a lot. She is eating and drinking but looks tired, when i picked sunny up my xWife says she had called the vet (non avian) and he said shes just an old budgie, which im surprised at. Is there anything i can do to make her more comfortable at all please? I believe this is quite a common issue. So far ive left her half covered and close to me, i talk to her lots. ive also made sure her fresh water/seeds and millet are easy to get to.

Ive also made sure my CAG does not get too close.

Oh dear poor little budge. How old is she?
Sorry the vet wasn't very helpful. Sometimes using a nebuliser helps or place a dish/basin of steaming water close to the cage and cover for a few mins, keeping an eye on budge of course - a bit like when we have a cold we may put a towel ove rour heads over a steaming basin etc. Maybe other members can advise too. @DizzyBlue @Roz anyone please.

Thank you Diana, sunny is now 8yrs old, which is not a bad age for a budgie, ill try the steam right now, thank you.

I had a budgie that had the same problem. When I contacted one avian vet they said she is just a budgie. That has put me off going to that particular avian vet. But luckily I found another avian vet that really cared.
I had to nebulise her 4 x a day using https://www.scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk/f10sc-disinfectant that was with vets advice
and she was on multiple medications. But she was eating and drinking well.
You are doing all the right things. If you have concerns just google a avian vet and get some advice.
It's hard to see them poorly. Hope little one gets better soon.

8 years old is not old but many vets do not like treating budgies, yes i have a nebuliser that i will use in this situation but i am also thinking on how warm it is now from a period of being cold or cool. this can also affect the breathing so try to move your budgie to a cooler place in your home. if you do not have a nebuliser you can try spraying a fine mist of cool water every few hours during the day. air circulation is also important during the warm times so a fan placed near the budgie but not pointing at your bird may also help. putting an ice cube in the water pot may also help,

I'm not much help on what to do but I wouldn't say 8yrs is old for a budgie. I had one for 12 years so hopefully she still has a good few years ahead of her. What are her droppings like?

Most health problems derive from their diet, such as germs or fatty stuff. What is she eating? If her chest is swelled and it seems she is reurgatating, it might do her good to put a a drop or two of apple cider vinegar in her water.

Hi there, she is still hanging in there. Improved a little over the week but has definitely poorly moments. She must be so tired :(
She is eating and drinking and playing with her basketball, her poops are normal. She is on a seed and millet diet it seems, along with fruit and cucumber. Enzo is doing her whistle from last time she was here, but sunny isn't really whistling now, just little squeaks. I'll get some apple cider vinegar too

Back
Top Bottom