Brother In Law Looking For A Breeding Box

Wakizashi21

Hi Everyone,

My brother in law has two amazons that have started to mate and just lay eggs at the bottom of the aviary so he would like to find them a nice big Breeding box but wherever we look its all for the budgies.

Can anyone maybe point me in the right direction? I am in the midlands. Im not the greatest at DIY so that doesnt help lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dianaT

Staff member
When hubby made nest boxes for Senegals & Moustached Parakeets he fixed inside apiece of mesh they could used to climb up on to get out, and in another box fixed wooden type steps/ladder. They seemed to work well. At a rough guess hubby reckons 24inches deep x 10-12inches square (depends on which Amazons as sizes vary) He used oak faced ply. We used animal bedding in the base the make it quite deep and added some fresh wood - willow, hazel etc they could chew up to add to it. Hope this helps a bit.

Michael Reynolds

the grey and the amazon need the same size nest box, please do not use mesh on the inside. I had my Claire my female rosella got her toe trapped in the mesh and the box as she tried to come out her box caused injury that meant she had to have it amputated, I exchange them and glue wood strips to form a ladder.

Wakizashi21

Thanks for that Diana. I think that is something i want for my brother in Law. He has two yellow headed amazons. Probably the size of my Hahns.

Wakizashi21

the grey and the amazon need the same size nest box, please do not use mesh on the inside. I had my Claire my female rosella got her toe trapped in the mesh and the box as she tried to come out her box caused injury that meant she had to have it amputated, I exchange them and glue wood strips to form a ladder.
Thwy do need a slightly large box...which is fine for them i think....aslong as they are happy with it

Top Bottom