Bring A Parrot Home To Uk

Gerry Lowe

Registered
Hi, new member today. Does anyone know what is the best way to get a small parrot back from Spain to UK.

My son who has been living in Palma brought a small parrot from a pet shop in Palma. He now has to go off

and work in another country but doesn't want to lose the parrot as he is very fond of it. We said we would look

after it for him but we do not know how (if at all possible) we can get the parrot back to the UK?

dianaT

Staff member
Hi :welcome:

May I suggest you contact The Parrot Society who will be able to give you information.

If you google them you will find their contact details.

If I am right, I don't think there is any problem bringing a parrot back from there but it may need a pet passort and be checked by an avian vet first.  The Parrot Society will advise.

What type of parrot is it?

Good luck, and keep us up to date. 

TomsMum

Administrator
Admin
Hi Gerry and  :welcome: ...I don't have experience of this myself...but here's a start

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview

he would need to check out any local regulations in Spain....check out with ferry or airline if and how the bird can travel...different companies have different rules....and I would recommend a vet health check, which states that the bird is fit to travel. We do have some members who import birds, so they may be able to offer some guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:

marley

Contact animal health at DEFRA, they will give you all the details you will need, basically it's a health certificate from a vet registered with the Spanish equivalent of DEFRA, you must notify your local DEFRA office of the date the bird will cross the UK border. As said check with the airline or ferry, the bird can travel in a cat

carrier with a perch fitted inside.

Parrot797

Get everything in writing,each person you talk to may give different opinions on how you can do this! If you can find an airline to fly the birds in at less than a lottery win then let me know.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hi and welcome to the forum :)  

Here is a list of all the phone numbers you could require https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/animal-and-plant-health-agency/about/access-and-opening

Hmmmm ok according to the British Bird Council you can travel via car to an EU country and each person within the car is allowed to bring back 5 pet birds as long as you have the necessary paperwork ...perhaps cheaper if your son drives/travels part way and meets you and you drive home? Nice to be able to see each other too plus he can tell you all the information such as feeding requirements of the bird etc plus you would be able to take his / her cage in the back of the car travel with its familiar toys etc plus the bird in a specific suitable travel box.

You will need to know from your son the exact species of bird he has (we can help supply the latin name but he must be exact in giving you the information of the species of bird he has so you can get the paperwork sorted this end) you will as others have said need to have the vet check paperwork all in order for the bird.

ronjon

Registered
hi ,i am going to vets to get 2 parrots health checks done and start prceedure of getting Cites Certificate for Spain.Having tried to get both into Turkish side of Cyprus but found out even if i get them in i cant bring them home to uk again , so it looks like a Spanish retirement for us .As far as i am aware i can travel back and forth with birds by car/ferry but have to have both health and cites certificates to re-enter UK .My birds are an African Grey and Austrailian Cockatoo not sexed as just my babies both roughly 16yrs old and ringed

ronjon

Registered
hi just found newly qualified avian vet able to do cites certs ect for travel abroad in Dalry ,Scotland if anyone needs them it Mc Taggarts in Dalry .This saves alot of travel back and forth to Larnak if on the west coast .Hope this helps x

Top Bottom