Breeding

James79

Registered
Good evening all
I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice. I'm very new to this and in the process of making an aviary to keep 4 to 6 kakarikis. My concern is breeding. Being inexperienced this is something I want to avoid for the time being. But how can I go about this please? I've been told that if you don't have any nesting boxes then they will have no where to go, is this true? What are my other options, apart from keeping just males or females? If a hen was to lay eggs is it OK to simply remove them or does this cause distress?

I look forward to any advice offered
Thank you

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I have kakarikis and they will flipping nest anywhere! The floor feed bowls on top of their roots box :roulette:
never take the eggs away as they keep laying depleting much needed calcium. An d they will fight for the best place to breed or for a certain partner .... They will fight and sometimes will keep at it until they end up killing another bird especially if the aviary is unbalanced male to female ratio.

James79

Registered
I have kakarikis and they will flipping nest anywhere! The floor feed bowls on top of their roots box :roulette:
never take the eggs away as they keep laying depleting much needed calcium. An d they will fight for the best place to breed or for a certain partner .... They will fight and sometimes will keep at it until they end up killing another bird especially if the aviary is unbalanced male to female ratio.
Great advice, so probably best to stick with the same sex?

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Personally I would get one pair of parent reared unrelated birds and keep something else I have a mixed aviary cocktails and budgies in with the kaks i have a large aviary but do not keep it densely populated so everyone has room to be alone or get out the way or hang out with a different species should they wish too

James79

Registered
Thank you for all your responses. So the only real way to avoid breeding altogether would be to just keep birds of the same sex. Any potential issues by doing this?

Top Bottom