1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brain Teasers

Discussion in 'Other Competitions' started by DizzyBlue, Jul 5, 2017.

1. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

There are only nine questions.
    This is a quiz for people who know everything! I found out in a hurry that I didn't.

These are not trick questions. They are straight questions with straight answers.

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

3 Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters ' dw' and they are all common words. Name two of them.

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter 'S.'

I will post the answers tomorrow :)

Shirley likes this.
  2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Phew some of those are difficult!

3. Bob

Bob Bird Whisperer Staff Member Admin

1 must be boxing?

Ararajuba and DizzyBlue like this.
  4. DizzyBlue

correct Bob :)

5. Shirley

Shirley Regular Member

1 Quizzes 2 Niagara falls 3 dont know that one . 4 strawberrys 5 dont know 6 dont know 7 full stop, commer highfun , thats it on that rofl . 8 passion fruit , mango . Slippers , socks , shoes , ermm thats it lol .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

DizzyBlue likes this.
  6. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

4. Strawberries
    5. Do they grow it inside?
    9. Socks, stilettos, sandals, shoes, skates, stilts... There's loads when you think about it

DizzyBlue and Ararajuba like this.
  7. Bradders

Bradders Parrot Power! Staff Member Moderator

7. Full stop, exclamation mark, question mark, comma, colon, semi-colon, dash, inverted commas, hyphens, brackets, ellipses, parenthesis, apostrophe.

Grrr.... should know another one!

DizzyBlue, Ararajuba and TomsMum like this.
  8. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

Question 9

Size 6 Shoes
    Size 7 Shoes
    Size 8 Shoes
    Size 9 Shoes
    Size 10 Shoes
    Size 11 Shoes

9. Nigalius

Number 5 I know as it is in the way I have grown square apples a long time ago in London.

When the Apple (Pair) is very small you get a square bottle such as a Daddies Brown Sauce bottle and place it over the small apple. Then as it grows it will grow to the shape of the inside of the bottle. To get the apple out just very carefully break the glass.

DizzyBlue likes this.
  10. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

2) Strange and slightly misleading phrasing if this is indeed the answer, but presumably they mean something like Niagra Falls (due to erosion). Surely the cliff behind is an integral part of the falls though - arguably more integral than the water flowing over it, as it is permanent, unlike the water, which is part of the falls only briefly on its way to somewhere else and would not be doing anything special in its absence - and said cliff is not actually going anywhere, just losing volume. Hmmm...
    3) Asparagus and fennel are the first that spring to mind; though there are others which don't actually require constant replanting either. Potatoes left in the ground are perfectly capable of coming up the next season, for example, and a patch of Jerusalem artichokes can sustain istelf for years, and even spread, from the existing underground tubers. Many brassicas are biennial, and some can produce crops in the second year as well as seed, onions are biennial too, garlic can presumably split and sustain itself from new cloves for some time... I don't think they've really thought this question through!
    4) Pretty sure this is the easiest question of the lot, as this is known to be a unique property of the strawberry.
    5) Not the faintest idea how anyone would do this, or why they would bother. It sounds more appetizing, though, than those bottles of mezcal (the Mexican spirit which everyone confuses with tequilla) that come with a worm inside...
    6) Dwarf, something to do with dwell, dwelling, etc, dwindle... not sure any of these sound like particularly common words though.
    7) Just thought I'd point out that punctuation is not a component of grammar (the principles that govern word usage within a given language and apply equally to spoken and written language), but of orthography, which is the formal system for writing a given language. That aside, I hesitantly suggest these guillemets « » to add to Bradders' excellent list, though I'm not sure whether they're really considered English punctuation marks. What about curly { } and angled < > brackets though? Those definitely look like they ought to do something interesting and unique, (even if I'm not entirely sure what that is), so they probably count as separate marks.
    8) This must be avocado. I don't think there are any ways to cook or preserve it, besides light chilling.
    9) I'm confident that there are indeed many more than six possibilities here - let's see if I can add six that have not yet been thought of: Skiis, Stirrups, Snowboards, Slippers, Sneakers, Slingbacks. There we go!

DizzyBlue likes this.
  11. Nigalius

I think I can confidently say that I know 4 of them and debateable on a fifth.

12. DizzyBlue

Sorry for late putting up the answers got pre-occupied with getting car trashed. This quiz had been sent out to mark mental health day :)

Answers To Quiz:
    1 Boxing.
    2 Niagara Falls .. The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.
    3 Asparagus and rhubarb.
    4 Strawberry.
    5 The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.
    6 Dwarf, dwell and dwindle...
    7 Period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation mark, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.
    8 Lettuce.
    9 socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts.

TomsMum likes this.
  13. bikergirl Carol

bikergirl Carol Regular Member

Mental health... Oh flipping ell looks like my mental health is crazzzzzzy