Bonded pairs

Tonifrax

Registered
Hey everyone hope you're all well.

Looking for some advice on my parrotlets.

Ive been teaching my male every day for 2 months to step up and trying to build trust but I would say that it has not really improved.

They dont really want to spend time with me. They want to spend time with each other. I seperated them due to bullying. They call out to each other during the day and unless they can see each other the one I have out just hides on top of my curtain and wont interact with me. I can only get the male to step up on my finger in his cage in his room.

Yesterday I sat on the floor and had the females cage next to me and the male out and he wondered over to me. I think he was after sunflower seeds because i had just presented him with his chop haha. Anyway i didnt have any to hand so he just touched my thumb with his beak snd wondered off again. He is completely different if his mate is not in the room. He just hides.

I hoped that id be able to tame them but i think they will always choose each others company over me. Some people suggested that I just keep one but I dont know if this is a good idea. I imagine it might depress them?

I have no experience breeding birds but I have read up a lot on this and i could give it a go.

Unfortunately i dont have the space for an avairy so thats not really an option unless I was to rehome them which would be difficult for me. I want them to have the best quality of life and when i took them on i initially wasnt sure if i would keep them or just look after them until they were healthy and in a better condition. Now im quite attached to them though, especially the male. I would like to add another member to my flock at some point as well because I did want a bird that I could tame that would want to spend time with me.

Any advice? Thanks :D

CaptainHowdy

Hey everyone hope you're all well.

Looking for some advice on my parrotlets.

Ive been teaching my male every day for 2 months to step up and trying to build trust but I would say that it has not really improved.

They dont really want to spend time with me. They want to spend time with each other. I seperated them due to bullying. They call out to each other during the day and unless they can see each other the one I have out just hides on top of my curtain and wont interact with me. I can only get the male to step up on my finger in his cage in his room.

Yesterday I sat on the floor and had the females cage next to me and the male out and he wondered over to me. I think he was after sunflower seeds because i had just presented him with his chop haha. Anyway i didnt have any to hand so he just touched my thumb with his beak snd wondered off again. He is completely different if his mate is not in the room. He just hides.

I hoped that id be able to tame them but i think they will always choose each others company over me. Some people suggested that I just keep one but I dont know if this is a good idea. I imagine it might depress them?

I have no experience breeding birds but I have read up a lot on this and i could give it a go.

Unfortunately i dont have the space for an avairy so thats not really an option unless I was to rehome them which would be difficult for me. I want them to have the best quality of life and when i took them on i initially wasnt sure if i would keep them or just look after them until they were healthy and in a better condition. Now im quite attached to them though, especially the male. I would like to add another member to my flock at some point as well because I did want a bird that I could tame that would want to spend time with me.

Any advice? Thanks :D

Personally if they are bonded to each other I wouldn't split them up.
When you say bullying can you explain what what happening?

I would not suggest breeding them as there is no benefit to the birds to be bred from.

What size cages do you have for them? Are you able to put up some pictures of your setup?

Tonifrax

Registered
Personally if they are bonded to each other I wouldn't split them up.
When you say bullying can you explain what what happening?

I would not suggest breeding them as there is no benefit to the birds to be bred from.

What size cages do you have for them? Are you able to put up some pictures of your setup?
They are split up at the moment. They still see each other every day bit through the cage. My female was pulling my males feathers out and he was bald on his head since i got them. She also bites at his beak and i heard him squawking quite loudly in discomfort at this. His beak is not in the best condition. I didnt want it to get worse so i seperated them.

They both have hagen vision cages. The females is the largest wide cage they sell and the male is in the medium because the large was not in stock at the time and the bullying was getting worse so i didnt want any serious injury to occur.

They both take turns at getting out and they are out all day, from lunch time until 9pm.

CaptainHowdy

They are split up at the moment. They still see each other every day bit through the cage. My female was pulling my males feathers out and he was bald on his head since i got them. She also bites at his beak and i heard him squawking quite loudly in discomfort at this. His beak is not in the best condition. I didnt want it to get worse so i seperated them.

They both have hagen vision cages. The females is the largest wide cage they sell and the male is in the medium because the large was not in stock at the time and the bullying was getting worse so i didnt want any serious injury to occur.

They both take turns at getting out and they are out all day, from lunch time until 9pm.
Was this behaviour there when you got them? Over preening can be a problem in bonded pairs that don't have anything to do so if they didn't come from the best conditions that could have been the cause of it. Then it becomes a bit of a habit as they don't really have the feathers there to preen.

As for the beaking when does this occur?

Have you tried letting them out together or having then together in a bigger cage since?

The cage I have for my one parrotlet is extremely large. They are active little birds, destructive too! 😂

Tonifrax

Registered
Was this behaviour there when you got them? Over preening can be a problem in bonded pairs that don't have anything to do so if they didn't come from the best conditions that could have been the cause of it. Then it becomes a bit of a habit as they don't really have the feathers there to preen.

As for the beaking when does this occur?

Have you tried letting them out together or having then together in a bigger cage since?

The cage I have for my one parrotlet is extremely large. They are active little birds, destructive too! 😂
The cage they were in when i got them which was their full time cage was about 40cmx40cm. It really was tiny. The female has always over preened his feathers since i got them. He was bald when i got him and its only just growing back now and still looks scruffy. Usually she grabs his beak while they are sitting preening. Still tries to do it through her cage when hes on the other side of the bars. They have a lot of toys to play with but neither of them had ever had toys before i got them and only started to play with them more as i seperated them. They used to get out together and just sat on top of the curtain together all day sleeping and not doing much of anything.

They get out together on cleaning day because i take their cages apart. The bullying still continues. I just have to keep an eye on them. Mine havent been destructive since i got them but they just sit up somewhere high, preen and sleep. They do a bit more now theyre seperated but they just dont wanna spend time with me

CaptainHowdy

The cage they were in when i got them which was their full time cage was about 40cmx40cm. It really was tiny. The female has always over preened his feathers since i got them. He was bald when i got him and its only just growing back now and still looks scruffy. Usually she grabs his beak while they are sitting preening. Still tries to do it through her cage when hes on the other side of the bars. They have a lot of toys to play with but neither of them had ever had toys before i got them and only started to play with them more as i seperated them. They used to get out together and just sat on top of the curtain together all day sleeping and not doing much of anything.

They get out together on cleaning day because i take their cages apart. The bullying still continues. I just have to keep an eye on them. Mine havent been destructive since i got them but they just sit up somewhere high, preen and sleep. They do a bit more now theyre seperated but they just dont wanna spend time with me

I think I know the beak biting you mean, it a quite normal for them to do. Mine used to do it when she wanted to be fed by the male.

Sometimes you find they just prefer being with their own kind rather than us. If they are getting on well outside the cage I would try them back together. Take it slowly at first. So one day together one separate and keep a close eye. If she starts overpreening him again then wait until he is fully feathered before allowing them to stay in the same cage but keep their cages side by side.

Tonifrax

Registered
I think I know the beak biting you mean, it a quite normal for them to do. Mine used to do it when she wanted to be fed by the male.

Sometimes you find they just prefer being with their own kind rather than us. If they are getting on well outside the cage I would try them back together. Take it slowly at first. So one day together one separate and keep a close eye. If she starts overpreening him again then wait until he is fully feathered before allowing them to stay in the same cage but keep their cages side by side.
Its been a couple months now and his feathers are still growing in. Ive let them out together today to see how they are with each other. The male has a very narrow beak towards the tip and its chipped away at the sides. I was concerned that he would get injured from the beak biting because he did not seem to like it at all

Tonifrax

Registered
So i let them out together and they both went into one of the cages and now they're getting intimate 😂😂😂 should i just leave them together? They preened each other a lot and the beak biting was still happening as well

CaptainHowdy

So i let them out together and they both went into one of the cages and now they're getting intimate 😂😂😂 should i just leave them together? They preened each other a lot and the beak biting was still happening as well
Personally I would as they are clearly bonded to each other. Just keep a close eye and if she starts to overpreen him again then separate cages side by side for a few days.

Have you got some preening toys to try and distract her from preening him if she gets a bit preen happy?

Mine used to cuddle up to sleep together on their swing every night. Very cute! Can't beat watching them have a nightly preen and settle down for bed 😍

Tonifrax

Registered
Personally I would as they are clearly bonded to each other. Just keep a close eye and if she starts to overpreen him again then separate cages side by side for a few days.

Have you got some preening toys to try and distract her from preening him if she gets a bit preen happy?

Mine used to cuddle up to sleep together on their swing every night. Very cute! Can't beat watching them have a nightly preen and settle down for bed 😍
Ive got preening toys but she doesnt really play with them. The male does. I made a willow swing for them and theyve just started taking an interest in that so hopefully will be a distraction

Top Bottom