Blue fronted amazon

gazzington

Hi, just wondering if someone can help with our 8 year old blue fronted female amazon. We have had her for 7.5 years old and she has always been bonded with me. We live upstairs in house where my parents in law live downstairs. This has been the case for 3 years. She has suddenly become obsessed with my father in law. Shouting for him non stop. She can't concentrate on anything else and screams for him non stop. She can't relax at all. I'm assuming it's hormones related. Any advice please. This has been going on for about two weeks. I'm also bit upset as it used to be me she wanted

dianaT

Staff member
Yes I am sure you are right your father in law is now the chosen one ...sorry!!!
Hopefully it will pass in a few weeks time, is FIL giving her some of the attention she seeks, he is honoured really.

RoyJess

I had the same when I first got my Missy (Hahn's Macaw) who decided to take a liking to my wife. We resolve this by banning Missy from seeing my wife. We kept them in separate rooms for a few weeks/months. They do occasionally see each other now, but rarely.

gazzington

She still comes to me for cuddles etc but other times as in hours just screams every time she hears him etc

JessCheekyMia

This sounds like she is wanting to be with your father in law. Like @RoyJess (my husband) said. Missy took to me and didn't want anything to do with my hubby. We kept our distance me and Missy. She still comes to me for cuddles on the rare occasion that I see her. @Michael Reynolds came round ours and Missy was on me and my hubby. I don't see her everyday. As she is with my hubby most of the time. It was very hard as she would scream for me. The time appart worked well but again was destressing at the time. I even had to keep my voice very quiet as she would hear me and want to come to the room I was in. It is a hard situation. Unfortunately with parrots they choose you.

Last edited:

JessCheekyMia

May I just add. My hubby does training with Missy. I believe that the training has helped her bring back the bond between her and my husband. She associates him with all the positive reinforcements.
I will tag @Roz

It is nice that she accepts me as well as being very much bonded with my hubby.
Hopefully this can be the case with your ammie.

Last edited:

Roz

That's good to know she still comes to you for cuddles. Sounds like hormones are likely part of the equation. I think everyone had better watch out for touching her inappropriately... ie. keep skritching to the head and neck only. Keep associating yourself with good experiences for her, which can include training as has been mentioned, but also hanging out with you, treats, etc. Can you put a radio on for background noise so that she doesn't hear him?

gazzington

Thanks for the help all. I think what's upsetting is that she used to only let me handle her and was very cuddly with me for 7 years and all of a sudden this change

• Sad
Reactions: Roz
Top Bottom